new to a 67 camaro with a question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Post new to a 67 camaro with a question.

How's it going everyone. I just recently inherited a 67 camaro and it was my father-in-laws. It has a 454 big block. So here's the main question i really have and hope anyone can give me any ideas of what to look for. I finally got the car to start and idle today after 3 weeks. I drove it around the block twice and while i was driving i would notice a grinding/scraping sound coming from the passenger side of the car. when i got home and looked at that side i noticed that the tire was rubbing really hard on the fender and the bolts were taking pieces of the tire little by little. when i compared it to the driver side i noticed that the driver side had a 2 1/2 finger gap and the passenger side had a 1 finger gap and that the passenger side tire stuck out just a tad bit past the fender. the driver side didn't stick out at all. does anyone have any recommendations on what to check or what you think it might be? I plan on jacking the car up and taking the tires off the front to compare them but that's all i can think of right now. thanks for any help

Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

When checking the wheels check for how much offset as well as are the wheels the same width. This sounds more like a wheel issue but also look to make sure the tires are the same size. After that your going to be diving in to suspension and making measurements...

Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM

The tires on the front are 225/45/18 btw. Thanks for the advice but I don't think that's the problem. My father in law put 850 miles on the car and this problem never happened. It's only at 853 miles right now from me driving it around my neighborhood. I believe my subframe is off center from when I had the car shipped and they strapped the car down. So I guess I'll have to try and center my subframe again.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How long has the car been sitting? The inner fender bolt is normally the first place to hit the wheel when they are too large. Sub frames do not move 1-1/2" if it did your car would drive like a boom-a-rang and the gaps between the door and fender would comic book level bad.

There is a better chance that your father in-law put too large a tire on the car and now that the car ha aged a bit the springs have sagged a little and now it is rubbing more. Also your father in law may driven the car is such a way to be sure it did not rub.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Your sub frame should not have moved, if it did that could be a major problem. There not suppose to move and once set and tight that's it. If it had moved look for fender gaps door gaps and others to be way to tight in place and way to loose in others. Since you did not mention gaps moving or any out of whack things like door hits fender I would say its not the sub frame. So now then what could it be and I would start looking at suspension pieces, steering components. Your transporter might have hooked to something in the steering and bent it causing the front passenger side to lean in. That should be a pretty small list of things to check isolated to steering and ball joints, spindles etc...