67 Horn Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Default 67 Horn Problems

The horn in my 67 has never worked. I was hoping for some tips to help me figure out what is wrong with it. I grounded the horn relay under the hood and the horns sounded. Next I pulled the steering wheel horn button, and steering wheel. With the wheel removed, there is a spring loaded pin sticking up from the column by the turn signal switch. If I jump that pin to the steering column shaft the horns sounds. I haven't been able to figure out what is wrong from that pin in column to the horn button grounding it and working. I reviewed history from this site and it led me to a place that showed a steering wheel, and it had a spring loaded pin in the steering wheel itself, mine doesn't have this pin. I have the 67 deluxe wheel I believe. I think I will order this pin that is in the steering wheel. While the wheel was off, I looked and it looks like the spring loaded pin that is already in the steering column is not long enough to contact the bottom of the steering wheel, is it supposed to? Without it contacting the wheel, I can't figure out how the horn button would ground the relay to work the horn. I was also missing a plastic or rubber ring that goes under the belleville washer under the horn cap. I guess I'm just trying to figure out the ground path from the spring loaded pin that is in the steering column up thru the horn button to make sure the horn works. The pin in the column is too short to contact the bottom of the steering wheel, is it supposed to? Or am I missing something? Or could it have worn itself too short over the years? I tried pulling this pin out, but it was not coming out, it must be held in by the turn signal switch or something. It came to around 1/8" from being even with the top of the steering column, with no wheel on. Does this sound long enough? The steering wheel showed no signs of anything rubbing it on the bottom. This steering wheel has only been on the car for a few years, it used to have an aftermarket wheel on it, that I changed out.
Sorry for such a long topic, I have googled and searched the web many times about this, but can't figure out what is wrong with this horn, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 PM
4th Gear Member

If pin grounded and horns work, good.
Pin head usually rests slides upon a grounded ring on steering wheel, if aftermarket.
Otherwise, pin rides against s/wheel hub and is grounded to column, if column is grounded.
Column must be grounded.