Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

A rim emergency

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club
Default A rim emergency

So I have this wonderful degreaser that we use here at the house. Im sure many of you have heard of it. We call it the Purple stuff.
Name:  tires1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  32.9 KB

We keep it in this handy spray bottle.
Name:  tires2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  24.0 KB

A couple days ago I was sitting on one of my tires that was laying on its side as I scrubbed away at my new headers. I guess I sat the bottle down behind me on the rim not even thinking about it. And last night the squid says "oh **** honey"..........well now I have this lovely spot on my aluminum rim. Looks like its oxidized it so to speak. So my question is.......am I screwed??? Will this polish out? Anyone ever do something like this before???

Name:  tires3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  52.8 KB

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

wow O...that really sucks. i can't say for sure if it will polish out, but you bet your *** that what i'd be trying to do. try getting a mother's powerball and taking an aluminum polish to it. i can't believe that purple stuff did that to the rim though...that's ridiculous

Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I had just recently filled the spray bottle and Im sure it was all over it and on the bottom. Then it sat there for 2 days. Idk but Im gonna try and polish it out.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Overdrive Member

i have the same stuff in my garage right now, i wasnt sure if it was ok to use on my headers, im not sure what chemicals are in there

Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well its a totally safe product. Thats the thing. I had used oven cleaner on the headers to get the powder coating off. Worked like a charm. So the degreaser was used to make sure they were really clean before I painted them. Who knew it was going to do this.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well, it's not totally safe. Read the Hazards of the active ingredient...
http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/3412
and...Purplepower MSDS Info
If your wheels are polished, you'll be able to buff it out. But to me, the picture makes the wheel look like it may be clearcoated? Do you know if they are? Then you would have a different issue to deal with.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Overdrive Member

wow thats some strong stuff,i bet that would even take the ceramic coating off on a header,its a good thing you didnt wash your car with it!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Overdrive Member

holly im not trying to be a **** or anything,but read #4 on the back of the bottle lol

Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

No i dont think you're being a ****. Im not using the purple stuff on the rims or my car and we have been really careful with the stuff. I was sitting on the tire and wasnt thinking when I sat the bottle down. No the rims are not clearcoated. They are just aluminum rims. I will do my best to polish it out.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Overdrive Member

i just literally bought this stuff on sunday, i used to buy this other stuff in a red bottle but they dont carry it anymore

Quick Reply: A rim emergency