Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

A little mod needed a little help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Default A little mod needed a little help please

Hey guys i have a white 3.8 and ive been going for a black and white theme. I have black wheeles dark black tints blacked out tail lights and black headlight accents and ive been planning on getting black racing stipes along with the pinstripes.

Anyway i saw this mod and instantly wanted to do it! I wanted to know though what kind of paint i should use and if i can just get it at any auto parts store? Also would i have to sand it down and do the whole process or could i just spray over it? I already know how to take it off so i just wanted to know where to go from there! thanks for your help guys!!

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...004301_259.jpg

Old 03-19-2009, 02:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

thats alot of black, youre not going to have much white left

Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by importmd
thats alot of black, youre not going to have much white left

Nah my car is plenty white im not going to run out of white anytime soon! I think this little mod would go really well with my tail lights thats why i really wanted to do it.

Take a look at it

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...d9bd756040.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...e7d3a6836d.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...7e84e25aa5.jpg

Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Add a light bar and you could be the police. You can take that panel off and just wet sand it a bit and then spray it. But you're not going to find automotive paint at your local parts store. You can have it done and it shouldn't be very expensive, maybe 200 bucks, probably less though. You do know why people do that to their tail panel?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by greenarrow
Add a light bar and you could be the police. You can take that panel off and just wet sand it a bit and then spray it. But you're not going to find automotive paint at your local parts store. You can have it done and it shouldn't be very expensive, maybe 200 bucks, probably less though. You do know why people do that to their tail panel?
tail panel!! Yes! ive been trying to figure out what it was called forever!! Thanks!! But seems simple enough but i wouldnt want to mess it up because thats not really one of those things you can undo. Im going to try and get it priced tomorrow at a paint shop. I dont know why but i noticed that a few of the people have it autographed so im guessing it may be a tribute or some kind of aniversary edition, i wasnt really interested in all that though i just like the look. Can you inform me though of the real reason?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It would probably be cheaper if you took it off yourself and just took the tail panel to them, would cut out the disassemble/assemble time they'll charge. Just take out the tail lights and then the tail panel is held in by four bolts, 2 on the very ends.

The 60's camaro's had black tail panels to designate big block cars.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:48 PM

ok i did a little research with the new "tail panel" knowledge! I see that the black came from the "by berger" brand which i see is a select few camaros. I wouldnt deface my car by mislabeling it and just putting random badges but i still like the look though so i still want to do the black color.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 PM

It would probably be cheaper if you took it off yourself and just took the tail panel to them, would cut out the disassemble/assemble time they'll charge. Just take out the tail lights and then the tail panel is held in by four bolts, 2 on the very ends.

The 60's camaro's had black tail panels to designate big block cars.

Would it be possible to put the tail lights back in and drive the car like that with the panel off? Because thats my only transportation.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The Berger dealership started doing that on their special outfitted camaro's they did up at the dealership. That's not were it originally came from though. I wouldn't worry about anyone thinking you were trying to make your car a Berger camaro, they only did that to the 98+ camaros. Although most of the Berger camaros also had rally's like you plan on doing, but no ones going to care. You might get asked if it's got a big block some older folks.

You can drive it without the tail panel on it, there's no holes except for the bolt holes to worry about rain and what not. The tail lights will cover up the holes for the tail light wireing, so you'd be fine for a day or two.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 PM

The Berger dealership started doing that on their special outfitted camaro's they did up at the dealership. That's not were it originally came from though. I wouldn't worry about anyone thinking you were trying to make your car a Berger camaro, they only did that to the 98+ camaros. Although most of the Berger camaros also had rally's like you plan on doing, but no ones going to care. You might get asked if it's got a big block some older folks.

You can drive it without the tail panel on it, there's no holes except for the bolt holes to worry about rain and what not. The tail lights will cover up the holes for the tail light wireing, so you'd be fine for a day or two.

oooo ok wow you took it all the way back!! Thanks for the help! Im going to take it to a paint shop in the morning and see how much they charge me for it. If anything i might try to do it myself and if it comes out crappy just take it in and have them fix it! Do you think it looks better in flat black or the gloss black? I just painted the stock caps so its kind of a flat looking black but when i put my rims on there going to be gloss black so im at a crossroad!

Quick Reply: A little mod needed a little help please