Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Issues fitting hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Issues fitting hood

I have a 4" cowl hood on my 84 and i am wondering if there is a trick to getting the hood to fit correctly. the front corner on the drivers side sits up to high.

so any suggestions would be great.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is a glass hood I presume? There is a black bumper at either corner that's threaded into the radiator core support. Since you didn't say anything about the passenger side, I guess that side fits well? With the hood latched closed, push down on it on the drivers side over where the bumper is. Does the hood go down? If no, open the hood and crank the bumper in and try again. Keep adjusting until the hood sits flat when you push it down. Double check the passenger side the same way to make sure it's resting on the bumper. But, the hood is still up in the corner, isn't it. Now what you need to do is pull the hood down tighter at the center latch. Loosen the hood latch mechanism where it bolts to the support. I think there's either two or three bolts, can't remember. Loosen them slightly, not a lot, and tap the latch down a little bit with a block of wood and hammer. Tighten the latch back up, close the hood back up and check for fit. If the passenger side was already fitting well against the bumper, you'll only need to move the latch down about half as much as what the fit was off on the drivers side corner. Ain't panel fitting fun?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
This is a glass hood I presume? There is a black bumper at either corner that's threaded into the radiator core support. Since you didn't say anything about the passenger side, I guess that side fits well? With the hood latched closed, push down on it on the drivers side over where the bumper is. Does the hood go down? If no, open the hood and crank the bumper in and try again. Keep adjusting until the hood sits flat when you push it down. Double check the passenger side the same way to make sure it's resting on the bumper. But, the hood is still up in the corner, isn't it. Now what you need to do is pull the hood down tighter at the center latch. Loosen the hood latch mechanism where it bolts to the support. I think there's either two or three bolts, can't remember. Loosen them slightly, not a lot, and tap the latch down a little bit with a block of wood and hammer. Tighten the latch back up, close the hood back up and check for fit. If the passenger side was already fitting well against the bumper, you'll only need to move the latch down about half as much as what the fit was off on the drivers side corner. Ain't panel fitting fun?
ok i did adjust the the bumpers and that helped a ton. i dont want to do to much because i have to replace the passenger fender too.

i do think the rear of the hood looks to low so is there a way to raise that up.

and now for my next question. how hard is it to replace the front passenger fender?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I almost hate to even mention all the troubles I've had with fitting new shetmetal to the front of my 1971 Camaro! If you're talking about fitting a new fender from another Camaro, I'd say go for it, because it's just a bolt on deal, but you'll need to keep track of the shims that come off during disassembly. With care it will line up fine, but might need to be loosely hung until you can check for alignment.
But.....if you're talking aftermarket fenders, then prepare for tons of frustration, and grief! I think I've had each of my front fenders off about 6 times for various beatings, grindings, trimmings, reamings, and downright reworks! These fenders from Original Parts Restoration are not even close to original! Some holes were so far off that I couldn't even see the threaded hole through the hole in the fender! And once I finally got them aligned with the body, and the door gap, then I fought to get the inner fenderwells to come into position and screw on. Had to ream lots of holes, and even ream some factory holes to get the mix of old and new together.
I'm pretty persistent, (cheap too!) so after six 4-5 hour shifts of working them over I finally got them both mounted today and lined up. I do need to add that I replaced everything from the firewall forward, excpet reusing the inner fenderwells, so it included the radiator core supprt too, but that actually went right on.
Today I found out the welded aluminum racing radiator has a taller fill inlet, so when I closed the hood the hood stayed about 3/4" high and hit the cap! So tomorrow's project is to pull the radiator back out, cut the mounting brackets off, and lower it about 1"-1 1/2" lower and weld in new supports!
Seems like every step forward ends up in three steps back!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear member

1971bb427 i know what you are talking about its a pain on older cars i had a 63 chevy that i had to put a fender on and it sucked i have also done it on my 84 camaro and it was very easy its like 7 bolts up top which you will need to take the hood off for and then up fron on the bumper and lower shroud and one or two on the bottom near the door taking one off and then putting the new one on took me about an hour

Old 08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well im also very cheap and the new fender came with the car and im sure it is a oem part. so im crossing my fingers that it goes on smoothly. i may also need a front bumper too which i will probably try to find at a junk yard.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Thumbs up

i just replaced both fenders on my 83 they went on fairly decent cept for the one nut/bolt that sits up near the head light on the top its hidden up in there but you can get it with some effort....i only had one rusted bolt between both sides......just make sure you get some beer...