93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

I am having trouble Identifying a part near the intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Default I am having trouble Identifying a part near the intake manifold

Hi, I have a 1997 camaro rs convertible v6 3.8L

As I was messing with the intake manifold I noticed a pipe that had broken off. It was a small 90 degree elbow shaped pipe that went from the tensioner assembly to a hole in the intake manifold. Does anyone know what this part is called? I need to order a new one. Thank you in advance.

Chris

P.S. The first image is how it looks like with the tensioner rotated up so that I can show the pipe. The green arrow points to the pipe, the pink arrow points to where the pipe goes.
The second image just shows how the tensioner looks when it is rotated back to its proper position.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Overdrive Member

This would probably be better answered in the V6 section

Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Overdrive Member

i found mine in the help section at orielly's. some coolant elbow.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Stan is correct. Those are famous for breaking.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I had mine break too...heard a hissing noise and saw coolant dripping from below my throttle body. Thought I had blown my intake gasket...12 hours later, after my intake is off, I realize that this was the only problem, lol

I got mine from the dealership for like $15, but I've seen them at Napa out on the floor in a 2-pack. I would rather pay an extra $5-10 for a GM part on this, but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

I broke my complete Assembly trying to get to the stupid elbow. Thankfully I saved $10 because the new Tensioner Assembly came with one.

At checker, $5 if I remember correctly.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 AM

I found out what it is. It is a coolant bypass tube. $3.69 at checker (part number 47065 or gm part number 24503423).

BTW why would you want to pay $15 for a cheap *** plastic pipe?

also, the other elbow that came in the kit (the kit was two elbows, one long one, one short one), I had trouble finding where (if at all) it goes. Maybe its just a generic kit and that part is just extra as far as my car is concerned, or maybe its just hidden in some forgotten crevice. anyone know where it would be in my car (if at all)?

Originally Posted by Masospaghetti
I had mine break too...heard a hissing noise and saw coolant dripping from below my throttle body. Thought I had blown my intake gasket...12 hours later, after my intake is off, I realize that this was the only problem, lol

I got mine from the dealership for like $15, but I've seen them at Napa out on the floor in a 2-pack. I would rather pay an extra $5-10 for a GM part on this, but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Overdrive Member

i believe the other is just a generic piece. GMD, i did the same thing when i went to replace mine.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Have the same problem.

Hi guys, I think I have the same problem, I'm trying to replace this, but do i have to take off the intake manifold? I have no idea how to do this, can anyone give some tips? and absolute DONTs lol..! thx

Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Overdrive Member

No you only need to remove the tensioner to replace those little elbows. Also make sure you get all the pieces of the elbow out of the tensioner and intake assembly. These things will also break just past the O ring and leave the end in the hole. A small screwdriver can remove the parts.

Massey

Quick Reply: I am having trouble Identifying a part near the intake manifold