Repair/Troubleshooting Tech articles pertaining to repair and maintenance

Failed Texas emissions test! Help! Codes P0556, P013A, P013C, P219A

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:31 AM
Default Failed Texas emissions test! Help! Codes P0556, P013A, P013C, P219A

I am the owner of the 2010 Camaro 2SS I've been having catalytic converters and 01/02 sensor issues for the last six months. To try and resolve the problem. I had my ASE mechanic install aftermarket parts. A Kinetixracing high flow Catalytic Converter set left/right and all the 01/02 sensors front and back. The mechanic cleared the codes after installation. But the check engine light came back on. I already failed the Texas emissions test today. I really need to pass the emissions test on the next visit within 15 days. I don't know if this all has to do with the car's electrical system or mass air flow sensor. I want to rid of all the issues that affect the catalytic converters and 01/02 sensors. I have attached the error codes report that pertains to my vehicle. I wonder if there is an underlining issue that is causing all these issues. I hope to get this resolved. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from the team. Thank you!

Parts installed.

Kinetixracing Catalytic Converters

Aftermarket 01/02 Sensors

Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since those are high flow cats (only have 200 cell construction), by nature they will trip a check engine post cat O2 sensor fault code. Those have extended bungs to take the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream to "fool" the computer, but maybe the sensors aren't out far enough. I would try adding another extension to each O2 sensor and see what results you get. They make right angle ones if clearance is an issue.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM

Where can I purchase the straight and angled extensions for each O2 sensor at? Are they available to purchase locally or online?

Make: Chevy
Model: Camaro 2SS

Year: 2010
Engine: 6.2L V8

Old 05-24-2020, 12:08 PM

Can anyone please tell me what the model or part numbers I will need for the 02 sensor extenders? Or if you can provide the direct web store links to the exact parts. What specific sizes will I need for both straight and angled installation due to space limitations? Would it be recommended to install wool around the sensor? Is there a specific size thread I will need? I want to make sure I have everything needed for the installation. Thank you!

Here are the hardware specifications for the high flow catalytic converters.

http://www.kinetixracing.com/kinetix...onverters.aspx

Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oxygen sensor thread pitch is M18x1.5. Jump on amazon.com and search "oxygen sensor spacer" and a lot of different ones will pop up. For a right angle one, search "oxygen sensor spacer 90 degree". I know someone with a 5th gen Camaro SS running with a modified engine and no cats, and the spacers did the trick. But, the welded on spacer on your cats should have worked.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Oxygen sensor thread pitch is M18x1.5. Jump on amazon.com and search "oxygen sensor spacer" and a lot of different ones will pop up. For a right angle one, search "oxygen sensor spacer 90 degree". I know someone with a 5th gen Camaro SS running with a modified engine and no cats, and the spacers did the trick. But, the welded on spacer on your cats should have worked.
Yes, they should have worked and they are all brand new. What would you recommend I try to do to resolve these issues? Go back to stock cats and ship back the high flow cats. Or try installing oxygen sensor spacers 90-degree. Or perhaps there are other issues causing these codes. An underlining issue that might need to be diagnosed by a Chevy service dept. At least It would be a starting point. I won't have them repair anything. They are way overpriced on labor and parts. I called a local dealer's service dept. They already sound like they want to bait and switch me in with let's see the problem and then charge you to fix it. They said we need to fix the first problem so we can get to the next problem. Basically they want to find any problem and work in repairs with a 70% mark up. There's got to be a better way to find out what else is going on with my car. Where can I find an honest repair shop to diagnose all my car's problems? I want to be given the option to repair the car or decline the repairs. I am noticing these repair shops try to play people. They will say this. "We need to repair in order to find the problems". That is not giving a customer the option to simply get a full repair quote. They want to turn it into a full-blown business transaction and write up a book of business.

Last edited by Camaro_Fusion; 05-24-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:17 PM

Update: Before I had my aftermarket high airflow cats and 01/02 sensors installed. I was having preexisting conditions on my vehicle's old stock cats and 02-Front/02-Rear sensors.

P0171

P0174

P0556

The codes and the check engine light issues where already present before I had other maintenance and repairs done on my vehicle earlier this year. Back on 2.14.20 I had an oil leak. After the repair, I still had the same codes P0171, P0174, and P0556 with the check engine light. I've never once cleaned my mass air flow sensor since I've owned it. I'm starting to think the issue is related to a defective or dirty mass air flow sensor. Or a vacuum leak. I have the K&N Typhoon cold air intake system model 69-4519TP On 5.15.20 I had the aftermarket cats and new 02 Front/ Rear 02 sensors installed. I was really hoping this would get rid of all the codes and check engine light.

Repair Log 2.14.20

K&N Typhoon cold air intake system model 69-4519TP

I think I have a vacuum leak causing the lean condition, the 3 codes all indicate that. The new codes with the 02 sensors is because I might of purchased cheap Chinese 02 sensors? I'm just throwing that out there. What are your thoughts?
What do you think it would cost to repair a vacuum leak on a Chevy Camaro 2010 2SS?

Last edited by Camaro_Fusion; 05-28-2020 at 05:35 PM.