Northwest WA, OR, AK

Camaro owners in oregon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Camaro owners in oregon?

a stroker kit would be easier and cheaper, wouldn't it? I thought 383's were just a stroked 350.

lol, that's gonna be a heck of a car, it'll blow everything out of the water, maybe even spec's firebird. a blown 383, wow.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear member

ya isnt a 383 a 350 with a 400 crank, i could be wrong never built one.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:34 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I wondered about putting a vortec blower on my car, but only running a little bit of pressure, not much. Eithor that, or find a used blower somewhere. I wonder how hard it would be to do. I can't afford it, but it's something to think about.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear member

dude music just save your money and get a camaro with a smallblock and a carb and sup it up for the street.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ya a 383 is just a 350 with a 400 crank. hey music,. ur dad owns a jusnk yard, do you think he might be able to hooke me up witha 6speed trans. me and my gf are trying to move out and i wanna get if fixed before we do. im desperate. lol

Old 05-26-2008, 03:08 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Actually, its a u-pull it wrecking yard, and my uncle works at it. I've never seen a V8 camaro in there before. I think it's becuase if one comes in, they are cruched up good, so they just smash em flat for scrap. Camaro's don't hold up very good after a wreck, they're safe, but they are usually a 1 wreck per car deal.

I'll try to find time and call the yard for you, but I doubt there will be a tranny. Cost wise, about $100-$200, no guarentee.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:59 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, 73, can't afford two insurance payments. Anything I do will be street legal, that's half the fun[8D]

Now dad is asking me how much it would cost to build an engine to hold a 200 shot of nitrous. I smiled and said about 3 grand. He said, wow, cheaper than I thought. lol, I think this little sixer is going to be quick on it's feet soon. His drag bike puked, all 6 cylinders went eggshaped, and it lost compression. It's having the engine re-built, but it needs bigger pistons, so they have to be custom ordered. Now we have nothing to race, so he want's to do something with my car.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that would be cool dude ya im in need of one ive checked everywhere and no one has one and the one place that did wanted to much.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My primary concern with a larger crank is that it changes the angles and pressures at which stock connecting rods were designed to function.

Granted, I'll have to get larger pistons with a sleeving job, but I just feel as though I'd garner more power from a boring job than getting a new crank shaft.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I called my uncle, and he laughed when I said I was trying to track down a 6 speed. He said that they never come in. But he called fosters, and they have one for $1350. They aren't a u-pull it yard. He says rebuild yours, becuase junk yard tranny's have no guarentee, so they might be bad, and for as much as they cost, you'll save money by rebuilding yours. Call around for a good deal, I had my turbo 400 for my jeep rebuilt in longview at aatco transmissions for $550, and that was with a shift kit and rebuilt torque converter, but I pulled the trans out and brought it to them. manual transmissions are easier to rebuild, so it should be cheaper still. Sorry, I gave it a shot.

There is a firebird in my uncle's yard, but everything was pulled an hour after it was set out, and now it's just a shell.

Toasted, that is true. still, I think larger pistons and sleeves will be more spendy than a crank and connecting rods. But the larger diameter pistons will probably perform better with a blower.

Quick Reply: Camaro owners in oregon?