Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

suck through turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell
Default suck through turbo?

anyone ever heard of this? My friend and I were talking about different power upgrades for my car. Some of which include building a 400 smallblock with a modified 350 crank (making it a 377?). also another thing he mentioned was doing a suck through turbo with all of my existing parts. Anyone have any experience with these? looking for pros and cons and all I have to do is buy a turbo to get it done.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Overdrive Member

WTF is a suck through turbo?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I might not be using the correct terminology. he explained it to me and knows all about it so I might not even be explaining it right so here goes. you put your headers on upside down cut them and rerun all new piping, so that it blows back through the turbo and carb. Hmmm that doesnt sound right. I will have to ask him about it again and have him explain it again so I actually understand it this time. He read about it in pop. mechanics about some guys in junkyards used to build them.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 PM
July 2007 ROTM

No such thing...Maybe "blowthrew" thats taking the exhaust like you stated "turning the headers upside down" and then into the turbos,the exhaust spins the turbos and then you force it threw the carb,but ussually after its ran threw a intercooler or you can cool it with methenol...Its the same thing except with injection its controlled better as far as fuel and air goes..

Im personally doing blowthrew with twin turbos but CSU is building the carb and im running many safety things with it..

Old 04-11-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tommynos
No such thing...Maybe "blowthrew" thats taking the exhaust like you stated "turning the headers upside down" and then into the turbos,the exhaust spins the turbos and then you force it threw the carb,but ussually after its ran threw a intercooler or you can cool it with methenol...Its the same thing except with injection its controlled better as far as fuel and air goes..

Im personally doing blowthrew with twin turbos but CSU is building the carb and im running many safety things with it..
I believe that is exactly what he is talking about. he also said that the carb wasnt mounted on the intake and more off to the side somewhere and then a tube is ran to the intercooler before or after the carb I am not sure and then backk into the intake. How is that setup working for you and would you say it is worth me trying it?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I thought this was a "Suck Through Turbo"?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

that isnt funny. I lost my last girlfriend like that. I underestimated the power of that 4 cylinder. if only I hadnt gutted the cat.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well i started to try and take them off, but there were 2 bolts i couldnt get off the top assembly b/c the nuts on the bottom were round nuts and iuno what tool i need to use, i bought a haynes manual and it said something about removing those nuts before i put it on jack stands.......would the pressure from the body stop those bolts from spinning and make them actually come out?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
July 2007 ROTM

Well I was in a conversation with a few friends when the one guy said he was going to run his turbo doing a suck threw instead of a blowthrew on his 4 wheeler...it got my attention after hearing this thread,he is a mechanic and a good one and said they made some vehicles with suck threw turbos,I didnt really get it but its like it goes right into the carb somehow and is mounted near it,but it cant have cooled air or some crap like that but he knew what he was saying so what im saying is he said there was a such thing as suck threw and not only blowthrew?

He is a very smart guy and actually owns a 71 camaro with a supercharger on it and a beat up truck with a 4.3 and a turbo he put on the exhaust under the truck and it actually flys!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not exactly sure what "suck-through" is, but it sounds like putting the carb pre-compressor. I suppose that would work, but running fuel through a hot turbo doesn't sound like a good idea to me. That and tuning would probably be pretty tough. The only plus I can think of is that compressor surge would be almost eliminated. Although with the huge hotsides you v8 guys use, it's usually not an issue anyway.

Quick Reply: suck through turbo?