New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Yup I'm new to the forum!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Yup I'm new to the forum!

I have a 1970 Camaro. I bought it in 1971, it had about 12K miles when I got it. (It has 53K now)
The original owner's parents lived next door to my sister and brother-in-law. He had bought it a couple months before he got out of the service, but then traded it off the following year.

When I got it about the only thing changed was the smog pump was off of it (of course) and it had Hooker headers and header mufflers on it. He did also change the rear spoiler to the tall one. And since that time I haven't changed all that much. I did lose a motor mount, so I welded a chain to hold the motor. (Fan ate some of the original shroud too!) I still have the original fan in good shape, but I did switch in a lightweight flex fan. The original windshield has been replaced when it cracked. I drilled a couple holes in the engine compartment struts (the ones that can be unbolted and replaced), for the time I had a fiberglass hood on it. (Which I still have.) And I added a under the hood light from a Pontiac. And I installed a oil pressure gage in the ashtray in the interior. (I have another ashtray for it.) And back when I first got it, I traded off the ugly twin snorkel air cleaner to a guy for a stock one off a 1969 Camaro. (The open chrome one......hey, who knew!?!?? LOL)
It has the original motor, but I almost forgot, I did tear a drive shaft in two. I broke 3 ears on the tranny case, so I had all the guts switched to a new case. (Then found out that the main shaft was bent also and had to have it all redone......again.)
And for the drag strip I had to have a blow proof bell housing and a drive shaft loop on.
I bought a set of ET mags for it almost as soon as I bought it and they have been on ever since. I do have a couple of the original rally wheels for it.....(and the one on the spare).

As for paint, it has had the lower quarters and nose painted for rock chips. And it had some paint flake away around the tail lights and one chip back by the rear window. I had those two spots cleaned and repainted. So the hood, top of the car and fenders and trunk lid is still all original paint.
At the moment I also have the two stainless strips off of the rocker panels. I had wanted to look under them to make sure I wasn't getting any rust starting there. (There isn't.)
For the first year this was the daily driver, so it was driven one winter. But after that I put it up every winter. So its never had any rust. But since it was the daily driver, I did put a trailer hitch on it to pull the boat I had at the time. (And its still on there.)
Its still got the original spare tire in the trunk.

For documentation I still have all the original contracts when I bought the car. I also have a copy of the dealer sticker and the dealer prep sheet. (The dealer still has the originals.) I didn't get the owners manual or the protect-o-plate when I bought the car though. And as for the 'build sheet' I guess its still in the car somewhere, I've never removed it.

Pretty sure I remembered everything. Heres a recent picture of it from yesterday and also heres a copy of the dealers orginal window sticker.

(Yes the paint is almost all orginal.)

[IMG]local://upfiles/7832/9F9C514ABB2A4E1F9A6F313CE770FDAD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7832/5582A292773844CB8E308E1E35B27900.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Yup I'm new to the forum!

Just awesome. Welcome aboard. Look forward to more pics. What are your plans for it then?

Old 05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
May 2007 ROTM

welcome to the forum, beautiful car, have some fun and post more pics, also stop by and vote in the June RTM.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

What are your plans for it then?
LoL over the years I have changed some things but never where I couldn't get it back to stock. I bought a fiberglass hood, so I wouldn't ruin the stock one when I was running dual quads on it. And I only drilled holes for the hood in pieces that I could replace on the car if I needed to.

Then when I was running Corvette tri-power I had the stock hood back on. (Loved that tri-power, but the carbs were pretty much junk and so I needed to buy newones for $600, so I decided to just sell the intake and aircleaner instead......another mistake!)

But its got the stock 800Holly back on now.

Heres another picture with the glass hood on, when it had the quads on:
This would have been back in the middle or late 70's.....a friend of mine came up with the paint scheme for the glass hood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7832/F99709A065B24B8A9EEB2AEF29BF13D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey got a short video uploaded......how about we go for a ride???

Buckle up!

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39...1970Camaro.flv

Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 PM
June 2007 ROTM

welcome!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Heres a picture of the interior. Like I said before its all stock except for the oil gauge in the ash tray and the Hurst shift ****. I know its messy inside. I have stuff for cleaning left in it.

Last year I started working on the exterior. I bought a Mothers clay kit and started claying the paint. I got the hood, top and trunk lid done before putting it back up for winter again. Its really cleaning the surface well and you can tell the difference.

Then once I got an area done and preped with the clay I used Liquid Glass to protect it, instead of wax. That Liquid Glass is GREAT! The only thing about it is that you had better have your painted surface JUST LIKE YOU WANT IT! Because once you put that stuff on, if theres an imperfection, its gonna stay there!!

I have used Liquid Glass on my Camaro for a LONG time, its good stuff.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7832/E131242636474A788D75C30F63092EC6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Heres a picture of the Camaro hauling the boat......just can't see the boat, just the car......[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7832/21C7B8FAFB80417793A74E6D18F8543F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Well got the Camaro out for a couple days in a row to burn up the tank of gas that had been in it. (I know...good timing!) $$$ But that tank had to be used before it went bad.

So filled up with $3.57/gal fuel, THEN bought a new bottle of lead additive and a new bottle of octane booster!! And the fuel STILL isn't as good as it needs to be for the high compression engine.

Then before I put it back in the garage, I got the glass hood out and cleaned it up. It had gotten pretty dirty sitting in the garage rafters.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7832/DE5D062FFA4B45388008656B23161997.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Looks good, lovin the pic's you ever thought about the Harwood cowl hood's?

Quick Reply: Yup I'm new to the forum!