New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

At wits end......

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Default At wits end......

Hello to all, and thanks to whom ever for creating such a usefull tool. Last summer i traded for a base model 87 camaro. She's got the fuel effiecent 2.8 fuel injected V6 (140K). She ran like a top last summer, it truely was fun to drive. Then winter came, so I stored it and did my best to keep the elements out. The snow melted and the sun shown, so i pulled it out and drove to the gas station to fill it up with 94 octane; after doing so the car started "acting up". It started kicking bucking, lacking much horsepower. I added dry gas, and still nothing. I then proceeded to change the plugs, wires, distributer cap and button, and new fuel filter, even had the oil changed. It still ran poorly. The backfiring led me to believe the timing was off, and it was. So I installed a new timing chain.(the old chain was obviously stretched) All these improvements made the car purr like a kitten, but as soon as you get on the gas, it still backfires and lacks horsepower...(hills are becoming a true obstacle). I went to a junk yard yesterday and picked up a used "mass air flow sensor" out of a 2.8 buick.(the plug matched) Now it doesn't lope when you tap on the air flow sensor. I'm just pulling straws at this point.....I'd like to hook it up to a diagnostic computer, but the check engine light isn't on..I am trulely at wits end....and tired of putting time and money into something that doesn't want to be fixed(seemingly so). Any insight would be greatly appreciatied, other wise i'm this close to dropping 2 sticks of dynamite under the hood.

thanks for stopping by,
2.8 V6.....

Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: At wits end......

Welcome to the forum.I would check the fuel pressure regulator or o2 sensor and the injectors also in the 3rd gen section of this forum is a V6 question areathat would be the best place to ask this question. Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome! You'll get more responses to this problem in the 3rd gen V6 section like age84 said.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM

welcome