New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Sup every one, got any advice on first mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:42 AM
Default Sup every one, got any advice on first mods?

I've had my 92 rs for a while , its a 5.0 just wondering. . . other then upgrading my intake and exhaust what would be the next good upgrade?
Any advice on a set of heads , cams?

Old 11-24-2005, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Sup every one, got any advice on first mods?

It's best to have a long term plan. How much do you plan to spend on upgrades and what do you want?

One option is to replace the 5.0 with a 350 or 383 crate or surplus engine or even one pulled from a surplus yard which you re-build.

Reasonable quality engines don't cost much and "there is no replacement for displacement."

Regardless, I always go with headers as the first mod: they improve power, torque, and lower internal stress on the engine.

Higher-ratio rocker arms are a cheap way to upgrade power without actually replacing the cam, if you are on a tight budget, but you want to replace the springs, too, iwhen you do it, if the engine is old and a little tired.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear member

i would say exactly what lee willis said. take care of affordable things first. when i started cleaning up my motor, i started with a nice ignition system, and a nice carb. i had headers, but they were cheap and they rusted out, but exhaust is definitaly the next thing to take care of. try to get ceramic coated headers, you can get them for a 3rd generation for about 280 dollars. rollor rockers is a good investment as lee willis said, but if i were you, i would go look into junkyards for a clean 350 or above. if your wallet can accomodate, you could even get a brand new crate engine. good luck and welcome to camaro forums.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

305s work very well with supercharging. But for start-off mods, start with an exhaust, and intake. Just try to crack open the breathing aspects of it.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:13 AM
2nd Gear member

H/I/C my friend

Old 11-26-2005, 05:57 PM

Yeah, I like the idea of getting a supercharger for it. . . I have a 99 lightning and right now its kind of hard moding both but my 92 is pretty clean with under 70k miles
so . . . i dont know I might just stick with the 305 and hook up the intake then the exhaust and headers , ignition system,then see what my options are from there. .
By the way does the stock rear end need work?

Thanks for the advice. . .

Old 11-26-2005, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear member

A supercharger is attractive, but realize that subic inches are better, and a 383 short block ought to cost about what a SC would. Either should give about 30% more torque and power, but the cubes are simpler and you can always supercharge THEM down the road.

You can actually get a 427 cubic inch short block version of an LT4 that fits into your car, but I don't think it is as inexpensive as the 383 and 395 cubic inch engines are.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:10 PM

yeah, but swapin block is something I'm kind of iffy about. . . .
lee willis I see you have a couple corvettes, one of my buddies just traded his lightning in for a 98 c5 . .
He plans on putting a few things on it , z06 intake ported heads, cam, and 100 shot. One thing I got ta say about those vettes is that there expensive to mod.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Vettes are just expensive in general.

side note, i saw a whole truck load of C6's get delivered to Boonton chevy today

Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

A supercharger is attractive, but realize that subic inches are better, and a 383 short block ought to cost about what a SC would. Either should give about 30% more torque and power, but the cubes are simpler and you can always supercharge THEM down the road.

You can actually get a 427 cubic inch short block version of an LT4 that fits into your car, but I don't think it is as inexpensive as the 383 and 395 cubic inch engines are.
Sure, a short block may cost as much as a supercharger, but then you have all of the parts left to buy that you still need to add to that short block. A supercharger is expensive, but it's an "easy" bolt on. You don't have to worry about pulling the motor, getting more parts, reinstalling the motor, and worrying about electrical gremlins and other issues that plague engine swaps.

Quick Reply: Sup every one, got any advice on first mods?