New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Wag
Default Newbie

Just started looking for a good Camaro discussion forum and lo and behold: Google coughed up this site. A few minutes of browsing and it looks like just what I need: Another hobby to drain my wallet! Eh. It's all for a worthy cause, right?! I keep trying to sell myself on that idea alongside all my other "worthy" causes!

Anyhoo, I bought a '98 Z28 about five or six years ago knowing nothing about it except for two things: 1. It sounds REALLY REALLY cool and 2. It was dayum fast on the test drive. Dropped the hammer on it and it spun the tires in first and second and chiped 'em in third. Automatic tranny, even.Bought it on the spot knowing not much more than that about this car but I was completely in lust.

From then until now, I've worked to keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles and only a couple of times went to 4,000 miles. Put Brembo cross-drilled rotors on the front about four years ago when the stock rotors warped. Now the Brembos shimmy a bit when stopping but not all the time. It's starting to hint that it needs a new alternator. Twice since I've owned it I've had to replace the rear main seal. At least the dealer's warranty covered it the first time; the second time was a couple of weeks ago for $850.00 and some change. Yikes. Had them replace the brackets on the steering column as it was starting to loosen up to the point where the high-beam switch was no longer working right. (Steering wheel feels good again, though!)

Now, the car has just shy of 150,000 miles on it. It still runs great. Still pins you to the seat when you pound on the throttle. Gave me 27mpg on the last tank of gas (at $3.40/gal [:@]) and typically gives me about 26 or 25 at the lowest. Doesen't burn oil. Seems to be showing indications that it's going to start giving me electrical troubles but nothing conclusive as of yet. Probably will need a new alternator and water pump soon. (I seem to remember changing them both out at about 90,000 miles but I don't recall for certain. I'll have to check the records.) Some minor dings in the paint and it needs new shocks, for sure. Other maintenance stuff has been taken care of rather religiously.

I've considered selling it over the past few weeks and even found some great deals on other sports cars using Carmax, etc. The thing is, I really love driving the Z and it just makes me ill to give it up. I test drove a Lexus IS300 the other day just on a lark. Pathetically puny little car compared to the Z. I just walked away and the salesman knew: he wasn't going to sell that car to me. The Carmax site spit out a 2000 Firebird (or was it a TA) the other day for a pretty decent price or $17,000. Only 33,000 miles and a 2000. Pretty much the same car as my Z but . . . . I'm still in love with mine.

Someone else is selling their Camaro on this board with only 54,000 (?) miles on it and they said they really don't want to sell it. I completely understand!

Ah, well. Suchare the loves we have, I know.

As mentioned, though, it needs

New paint
New shocks (any recommendations?)
New seals for the rear lid
Possibly new rotors for the front
Possibly new alternator and water pump

I suppose my real question is, Is it worth it to keep it on the road?

It was intriguing to note that when I was searching Carmax for a replacement car, I didn't see a single Camaro listed. Are collectors keeping these or are they just that good where people keep driving them all the time?

Anyhoo, I'm here to pick people's brains on keeping my lovely lady on the road. I'd post pics but I'm at work and have to go get them off the home 'pute

Old 05-19-2007, 11:53 AM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Newbie

Welcome to the forum, I would say keep the car as long as you can.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:27 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: 74454bb

X2. I have heard alot about people that sell thier Camaro only to wish they hadn't and begin to look for another real quick.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Wag

ORIGINAL: cplthomas

ORIGINAL: 74454bb

X2. I have heard alot about people that sell thier Camaro only to wish they hadn't and begin to look for another real quick.
Just about what I don't want to do. Life is too short for such regrets!

--Wag--

Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM
May 2007 ROTM

You can always rebuild the motor and trans, and get another car as a daily driver.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Wag

Thought about that, too. I can ride the bike every day but I suppose I could pick up a little beater car . . . .

--Wag--