New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New Member: 96 RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Question New Member: 96 RS

About me:
Father, Soldier, Husband. Iraq and back and still alive baby! Live for performance and my family.

Think about purchasing a 1996 3.8 V6 5-spd (RS i assume, no T-tops, base model) tomorrow for $4.5K. Has new tires, brakes, clutch, new kenwood head unit. Older couple mid 30's or so ; people are 2nd owners of this car it has always been kept in a garage and never driven during the winter. All stock performance wise. The interior is in excellent condition no cracks no tears 30 plus miles to the gallon (don't think this claim is 100% accurate) . New kenwood stereo with remote. Can't find any major issues for the 96. Is this a good buy if its in good shape or should i shun away from this year. I know its a V6 and I dont care for V8 power. I just want a nice fun lil clean driver. Lemme know what you guys think. Here are some pics from the seller. And yes the purple graphics are gone the second i buy her! lol If its as good as its sounds is it worth it? Don't know for sure how many miles are on it since i haven't checked it out just yet. Proud to say im the most northern Camaro owner on here, unless anyone else is from Fairbanks, Alaska. lol. Safe to say this car will be garaged in a month when the winter hits -40, 5spd, RR drive just dont work out to well. lol But ill manage with my other rides.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/jsinray/Camaro/

Last edited by jsinray@hotmail.com; 09-25-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-19-2009, 01:52 AM

hope im not getting in a bind here by getting it. anyone with some advice; im all ears.

Last edited by jsinray@hotmail.com; 09-19-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: nervous
Old 09-19-2009, 08:13 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum. I take it that means no one is answering your questions???

Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nothing wrong with a 3.8 5 speed. You can hit 30 MPG on the highway. They are even rated that way with the old system. The new system takes into account hills and stuff I think they are rated at 28 MPG in the new system.

RS normally has the RS badges and the ground effects all the way around. The second car down on the below thread is an example of a RS
https://camaroforums.com/forum/rotm-2009-82/october-rotm-voting-6-cylinder-any-year-43010/

Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsinray@hotmail.com
this website sux. if its not a LT1 or LS1 nobody gives a crap.
Interesting you'd say that.

To the OP. Welcome!!
It doesn't look like it is an "RS" though

Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

How many Miles on the Car?

Don't know if I missed it in the post?

Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM

May not be an RS. The ad didn't say how many miles were on it. Ill see in about an hour when I go check it out. A little nervous to spend that kinda cash on a V6; no t -ops when back home in Texas Z's go for $5-8K same year. It's for the wife (owner has already informed me its got purple everywhere which is ok since its my wife's favorite color). I wont be rolling in it i got my coupe and my titan so i'm good. if i get it ill post up some pics. New wheels a must, anyone got some better wheels hit me up!

Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Silver1996
5spd
132K miles

I drove her just a sec ago and she pulled strong for a lil ol V6 and no funny noises or leaks. The only issues with the car so far was the fact that the center console seemed really loose. All pieces were intact and the interior was immaculate for a 14 year old car. And the car alarm goes off after about 7 seconds when you lock her up (have to hit the alarm key fob button to turn it off). Exterior was very good. A few road chips from rocks here and there on the bumper but nothing serious. Ill try and get em for $4,000 even. Just to turn around and resell it for 4.5K and turn a lil profit on it. Got a new clutch at 125K and it has a used coil pack on it (plus a spare from a junk yard). Any thing I should really check out before I call em back and decide? You guys are the experts.

Oh yeah, they got a Black Z28 sitting right next to it thats really nice (not as clean as the V6 tho) but is NOT for sell...guess they wanna kick the lil old V6 out. lol

Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Default Bit Pricey?

Seems like a little bit much for an "RS" that doesn't even have the ground effects and also has over 130,000 miles on it. But thats just me. I only spent $4,400(guy was asking $4,800) on my 1999 RS and it only had 88,000 miles on it, but also had over $2,500 invested into it. Below are some pics of how it looked when I bought it.

Attached Thumbnails New Member: 96 RS-219.jpg   New Member: 96 RS-189.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 10:59 PM
2nd Gear member

If you go ahead and purchase it, you might want to replace the O2 sensors. With that many miles on the car, it's a good bet they will start to fail. Mine failed within a one-year time period just over 100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: New Member: 96 RS