New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

new guy with issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Default new guy with issues

Whats goin on fellas,

My names Justin and I got a 94 V6 (I know I know you dont have to say it, its what I could afford). I have owned it for about 2 months now and its been a challenge to say the least. Anyway, while driving on the interstate, something happened and I still couldn't tell you what. At first I thought I ran something over cause there was a hellatious bang coming from under my car, right around the center console where I think the driveshaft meets the transmission. I pulled over looked under the car and didn't see anything so I drove a little bit more. Still with some regularity to it I heard a bang bang bang. I mean hard enough to make the stuff in my console jump around. I pulled off the highway and left it until I could rollback it home. I got it here and jacked it up thinking the U joint broke, but the driveshaft doesnt move at all. I think it could be the transmission, but people I talk to say it wouldn't be banging like that, and if it was there would be a hole in the tranny and a huge puddle. I'm lost with what it could be, and was hoping someone out there would have some sort of idea. I have a feeling that the people who owned it before I did didn't take care of much more than the cosmetics because when I did a tune up it was running on about 2 spark plugs, all the rest of the electrodes were completely gone. Is there some sort of preventative maint. that could have been done that they may have neglected or could it be low gear oil? (It is a manual atleast)

Thanks for the help
[align=center] [/align]

Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: new guy with issues

The banging, which can get pretty scary, is most likely caused by the rear of the transmission, or the end of the torque arm hitting the floor. Look for either a broken transmission mount or broken torque arm mount, or both. I recommend you fix the problem soon, before breaking something more serious.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I got under there and found what was broken. Theres a tension bar for lack of a better way to describe it that runs next to the drive shaft. Where it meets the tranny theres a clamp that holds it in place with like a "W" shape. The bolt that holds that closed and runs into the back of the tranny snapped. My question for you guys is does anyone know the size of that bolt. I would imagine it would be something like 3/8 or 1/2 inch but if one of you guys knew it would be appreciated. I know its a long shot, i just wanted to avoid having to get a Chiltons lol.

Thanks again for the help

Old 04-28-2007, 06:28 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Welcome to the forum, I don't know the size but a good parts store will be able to tell you what it is. Keep us posted and get us some pic's.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:06 AM
June 2007 ROTM

Welcome. Can u take some pics for the members to see what ur talking about?