New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New guy here and I need your advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Question New guy here and I need your advice.

I found myself looking for information on Camaro's and it dawned on me; go where the Camaro owners go - a Camaro Forum.

I am not new to the car world, as I have had a couple of '60's Chevy 1/2 tons, an '86 Monte Carlo SS and various un-noteworthy family cars.

I live in Canada and am looking at going to the Southwest U.S. and am looking at picking up a 3rd or 4th generation Camaro.

Ideally a red third generation Z28 is what my son would like, but I like the looks of the 4th generations.
What I need to hear from you guys is the pro's and cons of each of these generations.
I have no idea what to look for in respect to problem areas or what to watch out foron these cars.
So let me know what you know (without creating a great debate), what are the pros and cons for each of the 3rd and 4th generation Camaro's.

Looking forward to your comments.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

3rd gens are cool, but 4th gens are faster, more reliable, and get better mpg. On the other hand, I think 3rd gens are easier to work on, less complicated, etc. The styling is very different for both gens so that's just a matter of opinion.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome aboard.... i'd rather go for 4th gen....

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome, If you're looking for something that's going to be your sons, a 3rd gen is easier to work on and the parts are cheaper. 4th gens have a better interior IMO than the 3rd gens, and also the LT1/LS1 has power. Why don't you tell us what it's going to be for and if you are planning to do anything with it, like other than a DD. The more we know about exactly what you're going to be using it for the better advice we can give you.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 AM

Well, I envision this car to be a daily driver that my son and I can add to. Things like an exhaust, headers, air intake, rims/tires. No major power adders and I am not looking to create gobs of HP. It has to be V8 powered.
A good reliable car, that can turn heads with sound and looks.

What are the mechanical pros and cons between the oem 5.0L and 5.7L in the 3rd generation?
How about transmission choices?
Rust areas to watch for?

Originally Posted by greenarrow
Welcome, If you're looking for something that's going to be your sons, a 3rd gen is easier to work on and the parts are cheaper. 4th gens have a better interior IMO than the 3rd gens, and also the LT1/LS1 has power. Why don't you tell us what it's going to be for and if you are planning to do anything with it, like other than a DD. The more we know about exactly what you're going to be using it for the better advice we can give you.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 AM
4th Gear Member

5.0 is as fast as a v6 4th gen camaro the 350 is ok

the LT1 car will do a 13.7-14.3 stock and the LS1 will do a 12.7-13.5 stock.

i would just go with a 98-02 z28. its still like a new car and fast as heck.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The 3rd gens are going to be easier to work on, but a 4th gen is going to be more reliable for the most part. It's just going to depend on how much you want to spend. Sounds like either gen would work for what you're looking to do. If it was for my son, I would a thrid gen 305/350, I know what a stock LT1 can do and I have trouble keeping out of trouble.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM

I have owned a thrid and 4th gen camaro the 4th gen is alot more reliable, and there's alot more aftermarket parts available for the 4th gen. I would definitely go with a 98-02 z28, you've got the power and the options, good luck and welcome to the addiction of Camaros

Old 04-24-2009, 12:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum..I personally like the older cars,so I would say 3rd gen and they are pretty easy to work on even for someone like me who is new to DIY stuff.

Quick Reply: New guy here and I need your advice.