New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New guy from CT

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Default New guy from CT

Hey guys, first I just wanna let you all know, I unfortunately do now own a Camaro. Now that I got that off my chest, I admit I would like to eventually own a camaro, or firebird, or trans am. Right now I own a 2 door 1999 oldsmobile alero, which was my first car at 17 (I am now 21). I figure in the near future I want to get a camaro. I have been looking around, debating years and prices and engine sizes. Being 21 and all, my insurance is high, I pay $2k+ a year for a 4 cyl. oldsmobile alero, so I dread knowing what I'd be paying for an 8 even though I would love to have one. As of now I am leaning towards a 3.8l just because a 3.4l is big enough but I would like as much power as I can get in a 6, and if I remember correctly, my uncles charger (one of the the newer ones) has a 3.6l?

I also noticed that camaros are becomming more affordable, seeing as when I get my olds I only had $3k to my name and now I can spend about that for a nice camaro. My friend has an 06 vw jetta gls with a turbo, which I admit is nice, and I would love nothing more than to hop into a camaro and be able to smoke his car. Think a 3.8l 5 speed can do it? He spent like 15k on it.

I was raised to be a chevy fan and have always liked camaros more than mustangs. Most people I know love mustangs more but meh, not me. I am often the odd man out but I don't car, I would take a camaro over a mustang anyday.

I also have to admit that I was never a fan of the body style of the 90's and early 2000 camaros, seemed to always look too much like an arrow. But after checking out these forums for the past few days, I have seen some body styles that look much better than the plain pointy arrow looking things. Since the 60's and 70's camaros are worth more than my life, I am semi in the market for an 80's-90's one, hoping not to spend more than 4-5k on a good running one (preferably 3 but beggars can't be choosers). I am sure I can think of much more to say but I am sorry for boring you guys for now. I am excited to be a part of these forums, and am hoping to learn a lot from you guys (maybe even get some counciling as to what size engine and what year/model to get). I figure you guys are the pros and I am the apprentice, so any input or insight is greatly appreciated. I live near New Haven, CT incase anyone was curious. Thanks for your time guys.

-Billy

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum Billy, you should be able to find a good v6 in either a 3rd or 4th gen for about 3K. A good V8 for around 5-6K probably.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

^^welcome to the forum billy

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Any insight on the Camaro RS (which I believe is the 6 cyl. 3.8l) or maybe a z28? I looked online seems theres only a 3 mpg difference but I am nervous as to insurance cost and how much of a difference there would be between a 6 and 8 cylinder. I'm already paying 2k a year for my little 4banger. (I also have a speeding ticket on record which should be off next year, it comes off after 3 years right?)

Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Welcome to the forum Billy. Not sure about that ticket deal.