New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

i have a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 AM
January 2007 ROTM
Default RE: i have a question

ORIGINAL: camarogrl11

hey guy s i have a question about my engine of why my ' secvice check engine ' light comes on ... some people say that its because of there s alot of miles on it but idk so any info would be nice and appreciated . Thank you
Something is causing it to come on , either a small problem or a possible larger problem , but the fact of the matter is , it has come on and you should get it checked out.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: i have a question

ORIGINAL: blueeyes3333

I had the same problem - diagnostic test said no codes. Someone told me the sensor in the intake could be oily? (I use K&N filter) and it was.
Cleaned the same and light went out.

You can also disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes and the computer will re-set and the light will go out!

I also have a question, however:

Any advice on replacing the spark plugs on right hand side of the engine? From the top? From the bottom?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
That is one reason I don't use K&N filters, the oil vapors tend to screw up the MAF. The MAF is supposed to be able to burn the residue off the wires, but can only handle so much.

Disconnecting the battery will clear the code; however, if the trouble is still there the light will come on again. It is a good idea to read the codes before clearing them, because it may point to something important. and you want to take care of it before it gets worse.

As for the plugs, you didn't mention what engine you have, but the right side is a PIA, V6 or V8. Try from the bottom, you may have to drop the head pipes, which can result in broken manifold bolts, or remove the accessories from the right side to get a better line to the front plugs. There are special short plug sockets, open at both ends and shaped to take a ratcheting box wrench. They work good in tight spots, but I can't remember where I got them from