New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hey im New :) <--------------

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Default Hey im New :) <--------------

Hey guys, im new to the Camaro Forums!

Place looks nice, and i've read a little bit of everything.

so yea, HI EVERYONE

btw, I want to buy a camaro, but my dad says most if not all american cars get de-valorized right when you buy them.. he says that a year later when you want to do a trade-in, or sell it, the car is less than half of what you bought it for and you will have lost most of the money you put on it, for which I should not get into american cars/camaro. What you guys think, is that true?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If monetary value is a concern to you, a car is definitely the wrong thing to invest in. Depreciation is going to affect every car on the market, American or not. (Anyone want a Toyota? Didn't think so~)

Any new car is going to lose quite a bit of value the first time you drive it off the lot. That said I don't understand why you'd want to sell a new car a year after you bought it?

But, you can skip over the initial depreciation by buying a car that's a year or two old. If you let someone else put that first couple thousand miles on it for you, it'll still be just as good as having bought it new, but you'll easily save thousands on the purchase price.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM

hmm, i like that 3rd statement you said, and the "trade in after a year" was just to show the point.. i dont think anyone would really trade after 1 year.

I agree with you on toyotas, but come on.. you picked the worst company lol

Say honda, their cars dont get de-valorized fast.. but then again i want a camaro lol

Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you want a Camaro, buy a Camaro. Depreciation only matters if you want to get rid of it.

Which you never will, right?

If it's reliability you're worried about, then take care of it and it will take care of you.

It's a bit older, but you've heard about this one, right?
http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...aro/index.html

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

welcome. I Agree all cars devalue rapidly.If money is not an issue and you plan on keeping the car a few years new is ok.All my GM cars have over 100k and are still reliable as ever.My 03 grand am has 128,000 and has never even had a tune up.Please dont buy into that rice is better crap.This country just cant afford that type of thinking anymore.All manufacturers make good models and bad models except chevy.HaHa.Good luck.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome, Xologist!

Your comments about Camaro depreciation made me think of this article. Check it out!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey, Welcome to the forums. What year Camaro you lookin' to get?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Droid

People buying cars as investments are deluding themselves, unless they lock it up in a sealed container for fifty years, and hope that someone would still be interested after all that time. Buy the car you really like, use it, enjoy it, and don't worry about trading. After 10 years they all are worth about the same. As was mentioned before, the smart thing is to buy a 1-3 year old car and save a bunch of money, by letting the initial owner pay for all the depreciation. Most cars, if properly maintained and not abused will give good service, regardles of all the adevrtisement hype.