New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hello Everybody

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Default Hello Everybody

New member here, just wanted to introduce myself. I live in SW Missouri, work on airplanes for a living, wife, 2 kids, etc. I just picked up a 68 327 3speed base coupe today in really good shape (cosmetically at least). The steering is vague, the drum brakes on each corner are horrendous, the tranny fights me going into 2nd, and the windshield is cracked at 2 places along the top. No real visible signs of it ever being wrecked or any major work being done. I think there is a little bit of bondo along the bottom corners of the rear window.
So anyway, everybody weigh in on what I need to do first. I definitely want to upgrade the brakes to discs, give me some good sources and things to watch out for.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 AM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Hello Everybody

Welcome to the forums, post some picks when you get time and we'll let you know where to start.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:09 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Welcome buzz. Check out www.rickscamaro.com for the first gen parts, they have really good prices and pretty much every thing you will ever need for the car. Yearone is another source. Also get a chiltons manual. Those brakes are where most people start a project, I started at the engine and went from there. The 'search' function is your friend when you start having questions about the 'cowl tag'.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. I started researching drum to power disc conversions and that led me to front suspension, rear end, engine, trans, etc. It just never ends! I'd like to do it all right now but the little missus has other ideas. I guess I better just stick with brakes for right now.
I do have one concern, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. I checked the numbers on the block and it is original. I had a restorer tell me that the engine is worth 4 or 5 grand to a restorer. So my question is do I try to sell it to finance some of my projects or hang on to it in case I want to go back to original?
Here is a picture, I'll post more this weekend if anybody is interested.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6813/CD93EC94DF6240A6B7807332519DE2C5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6813/4A1F6843FF7443718CC0E3C8C42E2D28.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Beautiful car. The answer to your question depends on you. The car is deffinately worth more with an origional motor. There are guys that will keep the motor and put something bigger in it and just hold on to the origional one incase they want to sell it later. You could get some decent power from the 327 without spending a ton of money as well, so really its up to you.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 AM
May 2007 ROTM

You should keep the motor for the car. Unless you never plan to sell the car and want something like a big block, In that case then you would only see the car grow in value if it was a super car clone. If you just plan on putting a fresh 350 in it then keep the 327 for later down the road. Don't rush through the finish of your car by selling off parts that you may decide you want later down the road.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 AM
January 2007 ROTM

Welcome to the forums and thx for registering with us !!!

Beautiful car !!! I really like the classics, wish I had one myself !

Post up some more pics when you get the chance.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
June 2007 ROTM

welcome. nice car.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 PM

nice looking 1st gen. I had drums all round on my 68 but changed the front to a MSD power/diskbrake conversionand kept the backs as drums. I also had some competition engineering lift bars fitted to the rear end for added traction. these ones as adjustable for track times. Always best to get some extra stopping power before you pur power into the heart of the car. It pays in the long run!!!!!!!!!
good luck and keep your project pics coming