New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Greetings from Denver

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Default Greetings from Denver

This looks like a nice site! Please allow me to explain my situation.

My father bought his 1969 SS350 convertible while he was in the Army. I believe there may have been an owner prior to him, but he has had his ride since 1970. This car has been garaged and driven occasionally in Maryland since its purchase. There are also very few after market parts installed: Namely new wheels, driver's side interior door panel (that now needs to be replaced again), grille assembly, a master cylinder (clone, not a DelCo Moraine), and an 11" power booster (also a clone). Everything else is original.

Back in the mid-80's, the SS went car vs. snowbank thanks to any icy road causing some moderate damage to the front end. Fortunately, this damage was mostly cosmetic and the only casualties were the grille, front spoiler, and license plate. There has also been an intermittent brakes-related issue that has nothing to do with the snow bank rendezvous.

Dad has decided to pass his car on to me (with great consternation I might add, and understandably so). We both agreed however, that we wanted to get the SS road-worthy before bringing it out here and that is what has brought me here to these forums. Dad is doing the hands-on work while I'm only able to view pictures and provide some long distance input. Our most recent venture was to buy a complete grille kit and a master cylinder/power booster combo from Rick's (online purchase).

From time to time I will come on here and search the forums, maybe ask some questions and possibly share some of the work that we've done. To cap off the introduction, I've got a picture of the SS uploaded to my Garage on this site. Please feel free to check it out! I'll be looking forward to chatting with you all!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Wow, very nice car. How is that not road worthy?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, that's a very nice 69. With the condition that thing is in and if it really is as original as you say then it's worth a pretty penny. What all needs to be done to get it road worthy? And were is it going to be heading to?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Dad and I are troubleshooting a brake issue where the brake pedal gets increasingly more difficult to push down as its being driven. There was a similiar issue posted by another member on here that I need to pass on. The tentative solution was to bleed the brake lines several times. As soon as that issue is fixed, the SS will be on its way to Denver from Maryland, though the method of shipping hasn't been nailed down yet. I have no specific plans for the car yet, though I do consider this car to be a family heirloom. I'd like to get everything back to all original. I've no desire to race. If I had to rate the condition, I'd put it as "great". Very little surface rust and the only mechanical flaw is the brake issue.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It sounds as though you do have air in the break lines, which enough bleeding should take care of that. I would suggest that as soon as you get the car, you need to take care of any rust that is on the body/frame, basically anywhere on the car. I would imagine that you don't plan to drive this all the time in Denver, and just sitting around will not be good for any rust that is already on it, especially in Denver.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the tips greenarrow! I will absolutely take your advice. I hope to get some more pics in my garage on this site soon.