New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

green as it gets

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Default green as it gets

Hello all,

I am really excited to be a part of this forum. My wife's first car was a 1985 Camaro Z28. We just got the car gifted to us from her father. Although I really love cars and have a basic knowledge I am green as it gets for someone who wishes to begin the process of rebuilding this car. Transmission was just rebuilt and it is ready for inspection. Body is in awesome shape so since it sat for awhile we will probably start with basic interior TLC and probably rebuild the carberator.

My big question to everybody is where do I start to lay a very basic but solid foundation for working on cars. Somebody told me it starts with intake and exhaust. I really need to get a basic understanding of combustion... how it happens, transfer of that power to the drive train and so forth.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Boyd

Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

well gas is pumped from the gas tank and sent through the pump and up to the carb. the carb (depending on how much you have the petal pressed) lets gas through its jets into a mist that goes into the intake and follow the runners to the intake valves in the heads. the valves are operated by the camshaft and how long they are open depends on the lobes of the cams. when the valve open then gas runs in to the cylinder. there the piston comes up compressing the gas and then the distributer sends a spark to the spark plug that ignights the gas forcing the pistion down. the force of the explosion turns the crankshaft in the bottom end. the crank is conected to the tranny and when the tranny is in gear and the crank turns then the car moves. also after the combustion the cam opens up another valve to let the exaust out that then goes out the pipes and is what you hear when the motor is running. thats a basic explination of how a motor works

Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, post up some pics of the project.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too and figured I might be able to help. If you're still wondering how combustion works check out
Animated Engines, Four Stroke
and click on internal combustion> four stroke . It goes over the 4 strokes of the basic internal combustion engine. Hopefully this helps, good luck and welcome to the forum.