New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Got my IROC for FREE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Default Got my IROC for FREE!!!

So almost 10 years ago I was given to opportunity to purchase a 1987 IROC-Z in really good shape for $2500 from a good family friend's neighbor. Unfortunately I was unable to come up with the cash and the family friend bought the car. She used the car for several years as a "limo" for her mother. (Whenever mom had to go to see the doctor they would take the IROC.) The car was only used once in a while to transport her mother to the doctor until she finally passed in 2004. After her passing Mom's IROC was parked in the garage and covered, and there it sat until late last month. After so many years of being her mother's car our family friend was looking for a way to find a new home for the IROC. In effort to shorten a long story: I was able to acquire the car for the cost of an eightmile tow.

Basically I've had my eye on this car for 10 years, and now its mine!

I’ve got it running again now. It didn’t need much: new battery, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil change, alternator, and a little elbow grease. It had 1/4 tank of gas in it when I got it, and I know I should have drained the tank, but we decided to try filling it up and running some octane booster in it.(I still have 3/4 of that tank left in the car.)I haven't done anything to the trans yet, and whileI havea new thermostat I haven't done anything to the cooling system but top it off.

The car seems to run well for having not been driven in 4 years. It runs a little rough and tries to sputter a little sometimes, but I have been chalking that up to the badgas.

I’m sure there’s a lot more that I should look at as far as maintenance for the car, but being that I’m only slightly mechanically inclined, I’m not sure what else I should do in the way or making the car reliable again.

P.S. Part of the reason I haven't focused too much on the trans is because its an auto, and in a passive aggressive sort of way I almost want it to die so I can replace it with a manual. Can anyone tell me how hard that would really be? Is it worth it?[/i]

Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Got my IROC for FREE!!!

depends on how much time and money you have....as far if it is worth it is a debate.its all what you want

Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Got my IROC for FREE!!!

yeah i would also like some info on the switch from an auto to 5 spd.