New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Coming Back...From Iraq!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:30 PM
JAK
Default Coming Back...From Iraq!

My first car was a 1987 Camaro RS. I was the second owner of the car and the first one had a field-day with it before trading it in. The sun roof was aftermarket and did not seal properly. The car was originally white but someone decided it would look better as a blue car with silver/grey ground effects. I might have agreed except for the fact that the door jams and under the hood did not need to remain white. I loved that car, but I got rid of it just before my wedding. Getting married I figured that I would need a car with more passenger space for the kids we would be having. Here I stand just over eight years later: I did not get married and I do not have any children, but for some reason every car I have bought since selling my Camaro has been the right car for the family that I might have in the future.

Now I am getting ready to return to the states after a year in Iraq with about $12,000 cash that I can spend on a car. This time I am buying something for me and what I want right now not for what might happen in the future. I am currently looking at used Corvettes, Camaros, and the occasional Mustang; most of my searching has been aimed at Camaros. Looking back at my experiences with my first Camaro I know I want a car that either has T-tops or is a convertible (from the factory). I want a car with leather seats, but I might be willing to let that wish go if I find a good deal without them.

After nearly eight years out of the Camaro community I am looking forward to getting back into it. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you. When I get to the point where I have learned enough to help out the newbies I will be more than willing to do so. -JAK

P.S- If anyone in the areas of Kansas or New Hampshire gets a good lead on a 97-02 maroon Camaro Convertible with a black top and black or grey leather seats please let me know!! I am doing all the searching I can from Iraq, but our internet usage severly limited.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:34 AM
JAK
Default RE: Coming Back...From Iraq!

I have been doing some more research, I have found two beautiful cars within 200 miles of where I am stationed back in the states, they are both 1997's and they are both white anniversary editions with the orange racing stripes. One is a Z28 with t-tops, the other is a SS coup. The seller of the SS is advertising it as being an Indy Edition. Was there an Indy Edition that year or is this guys just trying to jack-up his price. He is asking $13,500, for what it is I don't think that is unreasonable. The dealer that has the Z28 is advertising it online as being $9,995 but I am fearful that by the time I am actually able to get there that they will have found some excuse to raise there price. One advantage that I do have going for me is that I will be paying cash. That and I am the customer, if I am feeling uncomfortable with a specific dealer I can just walk out and continue my search.

-JAK

Old 12-28-2005, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: JAK

After nearly eight years out of the Camaro community I am looking forward to getting back into it. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning from you. When I get to the point where I have learned enough to help out the newbies I will be more than willing to do so. -JAK

P.S- If anyone in the areas of Kansas or New Hampshire gets a good lead on a 97-02 maroon Camaro Convertible with a black top and black or grey leather seats please let me know!! I am doing all the searching I can from Iraq, but our internet usage severly limited.
Welcome, and good luck. I'm sure you can't wait to get home.

Unless you just don't like the looks of the front end GM restyled for '98, I suggest looked at only 98 and on up. Reason is that from '98 until the end the Camaro Z28s and SSs had the all aluminum LS1 V8 engine rather than the cast iron block LT1, and the LS1 is noticeably more powerful and just as low maintenance as the earlier LT1 cars. The LS1, rated at 305 in the Z28 and 320 in the SS, was noticeably unrated -- it was about 325 HP in the Z and 335 in the SS.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:52 PM

No help on the car unfortunately, but thanks for having our collective backs in Iraq. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 PM
JAK

You're welcome and thanks for the support. As for the LS1 and LT1 I had thought about that, but for some reason I am partial to the square inset headlihights. The main thing I am looking at is condition and price. I have been figuring that I want to spend between 10-12k, to find a car at that price and in good condition is has to either be older with little mileage on it or it has to be newer with a lot of miles on it. I think I would rather something that is older and has been babied as both the cars I mentioned appear to have been. I really will not know until I am able to take a closer look. -JAK

P.S.- I just found out that I am staying here 10 days longer than I originally thought. That should give you some sort of idea how close I am to coming home, my count was under 10 days so now I am still under 20. I am so close to stepping on US soil I can almost taste it. (Not that I have any plans of tasting the soil when I get back.)

Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 PM

Sorry about the ten days. Enjoy your search when you do get back. Those sort of things are really fun.