New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Choosing a welder

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Choosing a welder

I was going to get a welder to do some body work on my car. I noticed that the welders say they can do up to a certian size of metal. Whats the thickiest metal i would encounter working on body work, frames etc...? Not just on a camaro but onvehicles in general. I want to buy a welder that will be big enough to do everything i'll need to do.Thanks

Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Choosing a welder

well I personally would never buy something from harbor freight etc. Id look at something that lets you adjust your amps and volts. that is if your looking for a mig. what kind of welder have you been looking at?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I've been looking for a fairly cheapmig welder. Any suggestions

Old 12-14-2008, 11:37 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I actually have an answer... it is in two parts.

A. I would stay away from the mig welders at home depot or lowes. I bought one (liincoln electric) and it started hickuping soon after. The slag on the wire they give is way too much. I was actually going to suggest a place like harbor freight. Like asked before what kind of welder are you looking at? there are different types for different applications. mig being the easiest, tig is easy too, you just have to practice. I am self tought on everything (almost) and can make a mess of thigs real easy.

B. If you have to ask this question... it might already be over your head. With that said, I would recomend a class, or buy an old one and practice till you burn at least a dozen holes through your shoes. Mig would be best for this. Its the kind you see on most tv shows too.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah im looking for a mig welder, but if i should stay away from home depot or lowes, do you have any suggestions on where i should look?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Well, I bought the lincoln electric one at lowes (or HD, cant remember) and it turned to garbage. Harbor freight has a good reputation ltfweeda is the first person I have ever heard say they wouldnt go there, so its up to you. but like he said, get one that you can adjust the speed of line and temp,amps. the more adjustments you can make the easier it will be to learn.