New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Camaro Owner 2nd time around

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Default Camaro Owner 2nd time around

In 1980 I bought a 1973 RSLT Camaro from a car lot in Clearwater Fla with about 48K miles. I was just 17 at the time and living in St Petersburg Fl. I was working full time after high school and put all my time and money into that car. In 1982 I entered it in the World of wheels car show tour while it passed through Tampa bay that year. I made third place in my division against some very tough competition and an honorable mention for being the youngest (19) entrant. After the show I did not drive the car much and soon afterward moved away from home to my own place.
In 1983 I sold the car to my best friend who drove it for while and then traded it off to his brother in law who later wrecked it. It was then sold off to another friend in 1986 who decided to make it show worthy again. He drove it for a short while and then took it off the road to rebuild it again to show quality and change exterior color.
He disassembled the car and started the rebuild (bodywork mostly) and then lost interest. There it sat in pieces inside his garage for the next 27 years. I have always kept track of the car over the years and always expressed my interest in buying back if it came available.
Well 27 years later I got a call from the current owner telling me he was considering selling. I now live in Maryland and with the car still in Florida it was not easy to see the car and in its condition. We struck up a deal with what was left of the car, almost 30 years from when I had it entered it in the “World of Wheels “ I made the 2200-mile round road trip to Fl to get it.
The condition of the car was not how he described but how he remembered it years ago. Time has taking its toll one many of the parts that were stored and many more have disappeared. But none the least its body was still decent with no rust and the odometer only showing 71K miles when parked, all new glass and floors. Interior was mostly gone and what was there was chewed up by garage mice. I still got the M-22, 4 speed and the 10 bolt 3:73 posi, The 350 motor has been gone for many years now according to the previous owner.
I plan on putting it back together again and back on the road within the next few years. Since there is no motor this maybe an opportunity for a period correct 396/4 Speed configuration or will it be in order to bring it to current standards with a LS7/ six speed. Time and finances will tell.

I will post pics later on of it back in the day and the way it is now

Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome 73, and nice story. At least you got your old car back, such as it is. That's more than a lot of us can say.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Thanks, the car has many memories and a lot of first for me.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I tracked my 74 Z back to the guy that sold it the scrap yard. That was back in the 90's when you could get the information. These days most keep looking for the old cars a good bit of there lifes. You got lucky it never got far away.

I have a friend who has his original 69 Chevelle. He could never bring himself to sell it. It sat in the back yard for almost 2 decades. At one point the kids where sliding off the trunk in the the swimming pool. Now its a 60K car.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome story! Glad you were able to get your car back. Have fun on the rebuild.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I will post some pics from the current condition and some from the past when I can.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Well, as winter starts closing in I guess its time to start on the camaro. Picked up a sizzor lift to help make a little easier on the back. Thinking of going the Pro Touring route but still making it a daily driver. Starting on the front suspension first and looking for some feedback from anyone else going this route or already done that.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 PM

A few pics from the past , around 1981 ( sorry for the quality ) one from the day it rolled out of storage of 20+ years ( the day I bought it in FLA ) and one from the present.

Attached Thumbnails Camaro Owner 2nd time around-2012_1015bl.jpg   Camaro Owner 2nd time around-2012_1015ap.jpg   Camaro Owner 2nd time around-2012_1015aj.jpg   Camaro Owner 2nd time around-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM

Last October when it arrived in MD

Attached Thumbnails Camaro Owner 2nd time around-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 11:04 PM

And one more from this evening

Attached Thumbnails Camaro Owner 2nd time around-2013_1001af.jpg  

Quick Reply: Camaro Owner 2nd time around