New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

84 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Angry 84 Camaro

Hi I am new to the the forum. I recently got my 84 Camaro outta storage after sitting for 7 years. I rebuild this car when i was younger with a 350 bored 30 other, performance cam, racing pistons, Edelbrock performance intake and hooker competition headers. I have and MSD ignition system and a performance distributor. I picked up the car in Billings Montana 3500ft started up and loaded it on a trailer and moved it to Wyoming 6700ft. When i got it here it wouldnt run right. I figured it had to to with the Carburetor. Which is a Edelbrock performer series 600 cfm with electric choke with a 1" spacer to prevent vapor lock. The jets and metering rods are all stock if i remember right. I called Edelbrock and got a very unenthusiastic technician that told me to Change the primary jets to 0.095, secondary to 0.089, and rods to .073 by .047. so i changed all these and cleaned out the carb which really wasnt that dirty. Only had like 200 miles on new motor and 700r4 trans. I got it running and idling smooth but i only turned the idle mixture screws half turn to a full turn out. Anymore and it backfires and wont leave the driveway. Where before it was alot farther out like 4 full turns Did that guy tell me wrong or what?? It runs better but doesnt have the power it used to. Am i too lean?? Are the jets wrong? I adjusted the timing and advanced it ten degrees over top dead center before i changed the jets, im very frustrated and im not sure what im doing wrong someone please help!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome from Oregon--try the 84 Camaro section for more info--

Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome to Camaro Forums

Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Official GM Representitive

Originally Posted by dunanizer
Hi I am new to the the forum. I recently got my 84 Camaro outta storage after sitting for 7 years. I rebuild this car when i was younger with a 350 bored 30 other, performance cam, racing pistons, Edelbrock performance intake and hooker competition headers. I have and MSD ignition system and a performance distributor. I picked up the car in Billings Montana 3500ft started up and loaded it on a trailer and moved it to Wyoming 6700ft. When i got it here it wouldnt run right. I figured it had to to with the Carburetor. Which is a Edelbrock performer series 600 cfm with electric choke with a 1" spacer to prevent vapor lock. The jets and metering rods are all stock if i remember right. I called Edelbrock and got a very unenthusiastic technician that told me to Change the primary jets to 0.095, secondary to 0.089, and rods to .073 by .047. so i changed all these and cleaned out the carb which really wasnt that dirty. Only had like 200 miles on new motor and 700r4 trans. I got it running and idling smooth but i only turned the idle mixture screws half turn to a full turn out. Anymore and it backfires and wont leave the driveway. Where before it was alot farther out like 4 full turns Did that guy tell me wrong or what?? It runs better but doesnt have the power it used to. Am i too lean?? Are the jets wrong? I adjusted the timing and advanced it ten degrees over top dead center before i changed the jets, im very frustrated and im not sure what im doing wrong someone please help!!!
dunanizer,

Hello and welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the concerns with your '84. We hope everything gets handled for you soon. Feel free to contact us anytime with questions.

Best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care