New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

68 rs/ss

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Question 68 rs/ss

I am looking to purchase a 1968 RS/SS convertible and need some direction. How do I determine if the car is a real SS or a clone if its not disclosed on the add? Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The VIN has no specific engine info, other than if it's a 6 or 8 cylinder car. And the trim tag has NO info to specify SS either. The only way is if the car has a matching numbers (partial VIN) engine, and the suffix code shows that it's either a 350 (if a small block), or a 396 (if a big block). Those two engine options only came in the SS. If the original engine is missing, then there's nothing to document it as being a real SS unless the owner has the original documents from when it was sold new. Anything else pertaining to the SS option can be faked. So basically, if the original engine isn't there, and the seller has no other documentation, do not pay an SS price for it. Oh, and same goes for the RS package as well, no trim tag code to prove that either. I can pretty much guarantee you, that there are more "SS" and "RS" models on the road now, than what GM churned out back in the day. Camaro Decoding help on Chevy-Camaro.com