New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

1999 camaro v6..rough idle and late shift out of first

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Default 1999 camaro v6..rough idle and late shift out of first

need help....my car has rough idle and shifts late out of 1st...the CEL was reading maf and egr. And trans slip codes....so i replaced maf and egr and cleared codes...was still idleing rough just at idle was fine when drivein...well the CEL came back on but this time it was blinking some times..so had it checked and it was sayin that multiple missfire code...put new plugs and wires on it...and then i ✔ the coil packs and found middle one had crack doqn the side of it..so got a new one.....ITS STILL DOING THE SAME THING and still shiftin late out of 1st i have to let off gas so it will shift out of first gear....o yea and i changed the throttle body and no change so i took it back and cleaned old one and put it back on...ive been reading alot of these simaler post but cant figure it out...n e help is very much appreciated....

Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There can be a lot of things that can cause these symptoms. You could still have a bad coil pack or a bad ICM, There could be a bad connection somewhere.

My car had the same symptoms a couple of years ago but they were random (twice a week or so) and it turned out to be the MAF connector. I got lucky finding it. When I bumped the wire to the MAF the engine stumbled. I tried to verify by making it do it again and it would not repeat. I figured what the heck and soldered in a new connector cleared code. Bam never had a misfire code again. Like I said above it could be one of many things.

Your transmission is another story, based on your description of the combination of a slipping transmission and late shifting is an issue with line pressure. Low line pressure will cause both issues. The PCM can cause late shifting due to bad sensor data but it cannot cause slippage. The way the computer calculates slippage is very simple. Engine is turning X RPMs output shaft is Turning Y RPMs. Low pressure can be caused by a lot of things but 95% the time this is repaired by rebuild. Once a transmission starts slipping it generates a lot of heat which put huge stresses on everything. You can change the fluid/filter and you might get a few more months if you baby it. I assume you check the level and it was ok?