LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

y opti???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
4th Gear Member

I'm sure you will get as many different opinions as there are opti's! I thought I was going to need one and was planning on buying one from Chandler but turned out to be something different. I buy what I can afford but I am not building a race car, just a daily driver to fun around in.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well there's nothing good about the opti really, but the fact remains that you have to have one in order for your engine to run. The best one is the GM one from my expierence. It's better to spend your money on a good part and have it last you 5 years than to have to change out a cheaper part every year.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

so an opti is just a distributor? I thought opti was a special performance distributor or something.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

opti just means "opti-spark" which is just the distributor used on an LT1

Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The brains at GM thought it would be a good idea to redesign the conventional distributor, and bury it in front of the engine where it would be more likely to get trashed from oil and moisture. Not to mention it's difficult access means normal easy ignition preventative maintenance is no longer possible.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

they had to relocate the distributor so the motor would fit in the new (at the time) 4th gen f body design. heres some history i found on it.

What is the Opti-Spark Distributor?

When GM introduced the LT1 engine in the 1992 Corvette, it was a major advance in V8 pushrod engine technology. Reverse-flow cooling helped it run higher compression ratios on pump gas than ever before. Multi-port fuel injection with a newly designed intake allowed the engine to get incredible fuel economy while maintaining good top end power. Best of all, when GM started installing these engines in the 1993 Camaro/Firebird platform and the 1994 Caprice/Impala SS platform, true high-performance small block power was made available to the masses. For the most part, the LT1 earned every bit of the praise it received.

After people put some mileage on their LT1-powered cars, Opti-Spark Ignitions began to fail at a fairly high rate. Vehicles operated in wet climates were even more susceptible to problems. What was causing problems with the Opti-Spark?

In order to understand the problems with the Opti-Spark Ignition, a brief description of the system is necessary. Quite simply, the Opti-Spark was a new distributor design that debuted on the 1992 Chevrolet Corvette LT1 V8. All LT1 (5.7L) and L99 (4.3L) V8 engines made between 1992 and 1997 were equipped with the Opti-Spark distributor. This would include all 1992-1996 Corvette, 1993-1997 Z28 and Trans Am/Formula Firebird, and 1994-1996 Caprice, Impala SS, Buick Roadmaster, and Cadillac Fleetwood applications. The Opti-Spark distributor was driven directly off the front of the camshaft. Consequently, the LT1 and L99 engines featured many design changes from the "old-style" small block to accommodate the new "front-mount" distributor location.

The term "Opti-Spark" describes the two functions of this distributor: optical ("Opti") engine speed and position sensing, and high voltage ignition distribution to the eight spark plugs ("Spark"). To perform these tasks, the Opti-Spark distributor contains a high-resolution engine speed encoder, a low-resolution engine position encoder, and a standard distributor cap and rotor assembly.

The high-resolution encoding is done with a 360-tooth trigger wheel spinning at camshaft speed. An optical sensor reads these spinning teeth, and creates a simple 0 or 5 volt signal, depending on whether an opening in the teeth is or is not present. As the trigger wheel spins with the engine, this 0 or 5 volt signal becomes a square-shaped voltage signal, or "square wave" in technical terms. This signal is then sent to the engine management computer to determine engine speed.

Once the computer knows the speed of the engine, it needs to calculate the engine position in order to establish spark timing. To accomplish this task, the low-resolution engine position encoder disk is utilized. The low-resolution sensor itself is essentially identical to the high-resolution sensor. However, the low-resolution encoder disk only contains 8 teeth. Four of the teeth are of the same size, and occur at 90-degree reference intervals (these four teeth help to give quick synchronization during start-up cranking). The other four teeth have varying tooth widths. From these variable-sized teeth, the computer uses a fairly simple algorithm to determine engine position.

The data created by the high- and low-resolution sensing system is ultimately used by the engine computer to generate one thing: ignition timing. The timing signal is sent from the computer to the ignition module, which is located next to the coil on LT1 and L99 engines. The ignition module then sends a high current “charge” signal directly to the ignition coil. Once the ignition coil is charged, it fires a high voltage electrical charge to the Opti-Spark distributor cap. The rotor inside the Opti-Spark distributor then distributes the spark to the appropriate cylinder via the distributor cap.

There are two slightly different versions of the Opti-Spark distributor manufactured by GM. The first design version was made between 1992 and 1994. Other than some small vent holes, the first design Opti-Spark had no provision for evacuating built-up moisture. Also, the caustic ozone gases created by the ignition process were also left inside the distributor with no vacuum removal. This design was replaced in 1995 with a vacuum-vented Opti-Spark (1994 B-Body cars received the updated Opti-Spark before the F-and Y-Body cars). Along with the new venting provision, the second design featured a redesigned cam drive and a different electrical connector.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
they had to relocate the distributor so the motor would fit in the new (at the time) 4th gen f body design. heres some history i found on it.
Was GM designing the 93 Camaro back in 91, or earlier, at the same time they were designing the LT1 for the 92 Vette? The Vette by the way, has no clearance problems, and a more conventional style distributor could have been used.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:07 AM
2nd Gear member

I can see GM having the 4th gen in various stages of concept and design processes from the late '80s until the early '90s. They were still doing a lot of paper and pencil designing back then, along with the computers, and that took years to go from paper to pavement.

Seems that GM could have foreseen a clearance issue and wanted to try something new.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Overdrive Member

GM had the concept car that eventually became the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird in running form back in 1988, shown below as the Pontiac Banshee. Notice the similar qtr panel lines and a very close profile resemblance to our cars? Also I posted a picture of the first Pontiac Banshee that was eventually to become the 1967-1982 Corvette.

Massey

Attached Thumbnails y opti???-1988_pontiac_banshee_concept_02.jpg   y opti???-pontiac_banshee_concept_2.jpg   y opti???-01-banshee.jpg