LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

winter?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good luck! It's snowing here now, about 2 inches so far and still coming down. Did I happen to mention it's coming your way?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Good luck! It's snowing here now, about 2 inches so far and still coming down. Did I happen to mention it's coming your way?
Take it back

UPDATE: So I didn't die, and the roads weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, but tonight will be the real test, 5 more inches expected and its freezing raining out right now and supposed to all day :/

Last edited by imalixZ28; 12-09-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 PM

I live in the Mountains of NH and I drive a 96 v6. Good tires are a must. I go to this place that sells used tires for $25-$35 a piece. It's pretty redneck going to there. They make you stay in your car and they jack it up and put new tires on wicked quick. It's like a pit crew with backwoods NH guys. Anyways, I put 3 sandbags weighing 60 lbs each in the back as well as a shovel. Easy on the gas and no sudden movements are the key. I also try to keep my gas tank full for extra weight. We can run studded tires up here year round (live free or die!) but I haven't gotten around to getting those yet. If you need to go up any hills, get some momentum going on a flat part and you can get up almost any hill. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Lots of weight (i used two tractor weights) and find a pair of used tires that are thinner than the stock 50s... like 60s or 70s that have decent grip left on them... these will cut threw the snow instead of trying to ride on top of it. use less throttle!

ALSO!!

use this snow to learn how to control your drifting! take it around a block where not many people park and squirrel the crap out of it! especially in the different kinds of weathers ice snow and the mixy slushy stuff. if you know how your car will control during these things you can more easily correct mistakes or prevent them before they happen.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by A Stinky Bumb
Lots of weight (i used two tractor weights) and find a pair of used tires that are thinner than the stock 50s... like 60s or 70s that have decent grip left on them... these will cut threw the snow instead of trying to ride on top of it. use less throttle!

ALSO!!

use this snow to learn how to control your drifting! take it around a block where not many people park and squirrel the crap out of it! especially in the different kinds of weathers ice snow and the mixy slushy stuff. if you know how your car will control during these things you can more easily correct mistakes or prevent them before they happen.
Yup I've got 3 60lb sandbags one over each wheel and one in the bottom of the trunk.

I haven't had too many problems with the snow, just being careful as **** and touching the throttle like it's gonna explode if I push it too hard I'm not too worried about the snow and whatnot now, mostly just worried about someone ELSE not paying attention and smacking into ME lol.

Oh and now that I think of it I have another question. it's time to rotate my tires, which normally is a no brainer but I've got an alignment issue in the front so I'm just curious if I should wait till winter's over tio rotate 'em or it wont hurt to do it now? Like would keeping my rear tires there be better than using the front ones (with a little more tread but wearing a bit unevenly)?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM

I understand you have no choice but I wouldnt dream of driving my Z in the winter. Its not that Im afraid of getting an accident, its that I love my Z too much to put it through a Canadian winter. I work for Mercedes and drive a B200 durng winter. Nice little car but seing my sparkling red Z28 in the garage every morning is making me so anxious for Spring!
Then again, Im in the Montreal area. Just today it was -25 celcius which is -13 fahrenheit! Plus all the snow, ice rain and calcium on our roads.
Driving a Camaro in the winter is a big no non up here.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shorkey
I understand you have no choice but I wouldnt dream of driving my Z in the winter. Its not that Im afraid of getting an accident, its that I love my Z too much to put it through a Canadian winter. I work for Mercedes and drive a B200 durng winter. Nice little car but seing my sparkling red Z28 in the garage every morning is making me so anxious for Spring!
Then again, Im in the Montreal area. Just today it was -25 celcius which is -13 fahrenheit! Plus all the snow, ice rain and calcium on our roads.
Driving a Camaro in the winter is a big no non up here.
Winters aren't too bad here (compared to yours lol) but still every couple of days I'll go through a strict regimen of cleaning all the salt and **** off the body and underbody and whatever may have found its way past my air damper under the hood. I baby this thing as much as possible, I just wish I could have a beater and avoid having to drive 'er altogether in bad weather.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by imalixZ28
Winters aren't too bad here (compared to yours lol) but still every couple of days I'll go through a strict regimen of cleaning all the salt and **** off the body and underbody and whatever may have found its way past my air damper under the hood. I baby this thing as much as possible, I just wish I could have a beater and avoid having to drive 'er altogether in bad weather.
Yup that would be the ultimate solution. Just save up and buy a beater for next winter so your Camaro doesnt go through winter again. If you get a reliable old beater thats easy to work on, it will be an inexpensive solution.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

um with the rotating the tires... if you want more grip go with them as long as you dont plan on going over like 55 you shouldnt have a problem with rotating them as long as you get new tires in the spring but if you dont want to replace them in the spring then i would just stick with what you got...