LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Will this scanner work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Will this scanner work?

Ok, I spent some time gooleing this and I can't find anything. As a result of my dad bragging about how his son loves this 95 LT1 6-speed more then the rest of his family, I got a free code scanner from one of his friends who just upgraded. It's an Innova 3100 OBDII code reader. It seems to work great, but the only thing that I have that would be throwing codes is this OBDI (or 1.5) Camaro (and it would sure throw some codes!). The code scanner its self doesn't support OBDI, but the cord that connects to the unit, and fits the car, will plug into a computer printer port. Right now I don't have a system set up with an old style printer port to just go ahead and test this, but I can pull something out of the basement if it will work. Now for the question part: Will the cord with this code scanner work with my OBD1.5 LT1, and if it does what software would work with the printer port? Thanks again guys!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Droid

The 95 is OBDI with a OBDII connector. There is no such thing as a OBD 1.5 PCM. The OBDII scanner will not be able to read codes from a OBDI PCM. What you need is a OBDI scanner with a OBDII cable.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did know that about the OBDI with an OBDII cable, I saw OBD1.5 used somewhere to describe this. I have an OBDII to printer port cable that connects the car to this scanner. I can take the car out to get scanned, but where its stored for the winter I could have some fun if this cord would work with my computer to read the codes, like the ALDL cable ( http://aldlcable.com/ ). The ALDL cable uses the serial port, this one uses the printer port. Also, since the cord was never ment for OBDI, I dont know if the pins inside the OBDII connector are the same on this LT1.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryguy425425
I did know that about the OBDI with an OBDII cable, I saw OBD1.5 used somewhere to describe this. I have an OBDII to printer port cable that connects the car to this scanner. I can take the car out to get scanned, but where its stored for the winter I could have some fun if this cord would work with my computer to read the codes, like the ALDL cable ( http://aldlcable.com/ ). The ALDL cable uses the serial port, this one uses the printer port. Also, since the cord was never ment for OBDI, I dont know if the pins inside the OBDII connector are the same on this LT1.
dang are you confusing...........

I mself have an Actron 9145 scanner. I have a 1995 Z28 with the OBD1 computer and OBD2 connector. The Actron 9145 OBD2 cable plugs right in and since the Actron can read OBD1, it reads the codes (when I have one)

I then use the exact same cable to plug into all of my other OBD2 cars

Are you sure you mean a "printer port" as in, parallel printer port????????????

Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

that help? im confused as well

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
The 95 is OBDI with a OBDII connector. There is no such thing as a OBD 1.5 PCM. The OBDII scanner will not be able to read codes from a OBDI PCM. What you need is a OBDI scanner with a OBDII cable.

^ pretty much what he says...

Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yep, It plugs into the parallel printor port. Looks like its going to be a lot easier just to borrow an OBDI scanner when I pull the car out of the garage this spring though.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear member

I also have the actron 9150 kit.came with obd-1 and obd-2 cables.also has cables for ford and chrysler(think i just said bad words)I dont know if the internal pins are connected the same.We've had machines that used the rs232 serial cables but some were wired differently internally.As in would work with hitachi but not fadal or haas g&m codes.or vice versa due to internal wire routing.Saw in some old post on here(like a year or more ago about using a laptop and some software that was downloaded from the net for free.perhaps research some old posts.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dc14u2no
I also have the actron 9150 kit.came with obd-1 and obd-2 cables.also has cables for ford and chrysler(think i just said bad words)I dont know if the internal pins are connected the same.We've had machines that used the rs232 serial cables but some were wired differently internally.As in would work with hitachi but not fadal or haas g&m codes.or vice versa due to internal wire routing.Saw in some old post on here(like a year or more ago about using a laptop and some software that was downloaded from the net for free.perhaps research some old posts.
I did my homework, for my 95Z, I only needed the 9145 itself and not any of the cables that come with the 9150 kit.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear member

I didnt need them either but is nice to have them.have had a few friends use it already.should charge to recoup some $$$lol but i'm not that way.

Quick Reply: Will this scanner work?