LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

What should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What should I buy?

After I get my car fixed to the point I want for now, I will have about 2500 left over to mod it. Any Suggestions on what I should get? I read the first mods thread, but I am asking for more specific suggestions. And also should I worry about getting aftermarket cosmetics (aka. tail lights, gauges, wheels) before performance or after?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

always place performance above aesthetics. however 2500 will get you a nice cam kit and some exhaust. if you do it yourself, lots more. then you can throw on some visuals to hint that your not stock. blacked out lights and maybe some stripes and stuff. look around the forum. there's a lot of good performance ideas on here.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

do you wanna go faster or look better? we can't make that decision for you.

also, you say "fixed to the point i want for now"...does that mean there are still issues with the car? if there are, then THATS where i'd start. no point in modding a vehicle that isn't already a solid platform to work on

Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

amen ^, and do you have any mods at all yet? starting with a CAI is always good, Moroso/K&N/SLP or if you have traction control those wont fit-so the Lingenfelter fits. Headers & Y-pipe, shorty headers if you need to pass smog inspection, long tubes if you dont. Cat-back exhaust system, Flowmaster/SLP Loudmouth/Magnaflow. Those are always the good basic upgrades. If you already have some of these you could get a bigger camshaft and maybe ported heads- check out Lloyd Elliot's work. I'm about to start a whole cam swap & ported heads, LE2 heads and 223/230 cam from Lloyd E. Also ported intake manifold and 58mm throttle body. the whole thing should be around $2600+. But like whammer said make sure all issues are fixed for a solid platform before modding.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The only drive-train issues had was a bad clutch which I already replaced. Im in a bind for long projects because I live in an apartment complex, I do all my work in my parking lot. Ive already had some tools and tranny bolts stolen. My major issues are cosmetic. Some dents, scratches, and cracked blinker. By "the point I want it at" I mean getting that fixed. I want to do beginning mods, then some cosmetic, then major preformance mods after I move out of my apartment. But Im a college student now so its difficult.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old is your opti? how are the brakes and what condition? how is the front doing, tierod ends, ball joints, struts? how about widow motors? set 500 to 700 in a savings account for when something unexpected breaks or you find that part your been lookin for cheap.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive only had it for 3 days so im still not completely sure about that. I bought it for $1200 and have another $600 right now to repair anything urgent. So far ive replaced the clutch, and changed my oil and tranny fluid. They day i bought it, she was missing a bit so we immediately thought "plugs and wires", but also considered the opti was going out. So tomorrow I am replacing the plugs and wires and hope that she will run much better. It was odd though because after we filled up with fresh gas she seemed to run much better, but now it seems like maybe it is still missing a bit. Hopefully my opti isnt going out.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check fuel pressure and change fuel filter as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
4th Gear Member

seriously

get it on the road, make sure it's riunning fine, and drive it for a few weeks. if you only paid $1200 for the car, it will tell you itself where to spend the $2500

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I saved and budgeted enough to where ill have about 2500 left over after I repair anything that might have been broken.