LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

WHAT DOES MY CAR HAVE

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Default WHAT DOES MY CAR HAVE

Please help me,
I just bought a 1995 camaro with a fresh LT1. The cam is a LT4 Hot cam,(What is a LT4 hot cam?),The heads were ported and polished,It has a LT4 thermostat (Why?), and it has a high performance chip in it.The transmission and rear end (with a 373 gear)were just rebuilt. It also has headers, a Borla exhaust ,and an electric cut off. The problem is, I dont know what this means.Is this a car I should be hiding in, or hunting in? What kind of H.P. does all this equal, and is it even a good set up?
The other problem i have is When you first start it in the morning, it takes a while to warm up. The engine seems to load up and die. If in neutral and you punch it, after you let off the gas it either dies or the R.P.M.s go up and down a few seconds than it settles in at a higher R.P.M., 1200 or so. Is there something wrong or is this what i get? It is kind of embarrising, and it dont seem right, but with the computer stuff we have today i dont know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned
Default RE: WHAT DOES MY CAR HAVE

You have a pretty nice car by the sounds of it, except for the borla exhaust... you should probably sell that. I happen to need an exhaust, i'll buy it for like 200 bucks?

Old 03-11-2006, 04:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Try checking the intake elbow between the intake manifold and the air flow sensor for cracks or loose clamps. Should be nice and tight with no cracks or leaks.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:25 PM
2nd Gear member

since in 95 they didnt have chips you could put in, it was most likely programmed, sounds like the computer tuning is off to me, there is no difference in the lt4 thermostat, and yes that is a nice set up, you should be verry happy with it when you get all that staightened out.

Old 03-11-2006, 05:47 PM

If the computer tuning is off, how do i fix it?

Old 03-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Droid

Fisrt, is the SES litr lit?? If it is scan the car & see what the complaint is. Second, give the car a good tune up, such as plugs, wires, clean air filter, clean out the gunk in the throttle body, carefully clean out the MAF sensor, check for air and vacuum leaks, etc.. If it still runs bad check the TPS, IAC valve, and the EGR as it may be stuck open. Check out the ignition system, especially the coil and the optispark, and all electrical connections between opti, ignition module, and opti. If you need to retune the PCM there are several ways of doing it. You can go to a chevy dealer and get it reflashed to stock condition (due to the hot cam the car will idle a bit slow, but otherwise run smoothly under load), if you have a laptop you can go to PCM For Less and they will mail a computer tune based on how your engine is set up, or you can go to a performance shop and get the car tune using a dyno.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear member

you can also send in your pcm, to pcm4less and they will do it custom for you.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 PM

LT4 HOT CAM IS A GREAT PERFORMANCE CAM GOOD POWER CURVE,CHECK FOR INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS, SOUNDS LIKE POSSIBLY SUCKEN VACCUM,ESPEACIALY COLD IDLE UP AND DOWN DUE TO LEAN CONDITIONS, SPRAY BRAKE CLEANER AROUND INTAKE IF IDLE RAISES MORE THAN LIKELY THAT WILL BE YOUR PROBLEM,SOUNDS LIKE A NICE CAR GOOD REALISTIC MODS ,