LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

What do you think of my exhaust plan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Default What do you think of my exhaust plan?

Hey guys! So I think I finally got my exhaust setup decided. My '94 Z28 is currently stock but I picked up a nice used Borla adjustable catback. I heard this exhaust sounds amazing with stock exhaust manifolds and a cat. However I plan on running long headers and an ORY which will most likely create drone/ and hardcore rasp .

I found this eBay auction which includes both headers AND a y-pipe for under $400 shipped. Stainless steel. I honestly don't need name brands, just parts that do what they're supposed to, and all long tube headers practically do the same thing. Thus, I think this might be the best route for me. Plus cheaper headers equals more money left to spend on other things .

Now back to the rasp matter. I love the sound of Borla. However with the adjustable catback, it looks like they designed the exhaust so that only one of the tips run though the muffler . Here's a pic:

I was thinking about putting in a 3" borla xr-1 before the exhaust splits. I believe it's called the "I." That should cut back the drone/rasp on the right pipe, but the left would then have to go through two mufflers. Would that cause a problem for air flow and/or sound?

Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never seen an exaust with only one side actually going through the muffler. That thing's gonna sound like firecrackers in a coffee can.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mixtape
Now back to the rasp matter. I love the sound of Borla. However with the adjustable catback, it looks like they designed the exhaust so that only one of the tips run though the muffler. Here's a pic:
That's how the Borla system, as shown in that picture, works. See that flange on the right side tube, after the "y"? You can put different reducer discs between the flanges to change the sound level. A smaller opening disc puts more exhaust flow through the muffler. Or you can go with bigger opening discs which puts less through the muffler and more through the right side pipe. Or go all the way to having no reducer at all, which basically gives you a straight pipe with little or no exhaust flowing through the muffler.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-02-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:20 AM

I wish both pipes ran through that Borla. I know I can eliminate the rasp by closing off the right pipe, but it just won't look right on cold mornings when only one pipe has steam coming out of it. Call me old fashioned, but converting a dual exhaust car into a single exhaust is pretty much a sin lol.

Is there anything I can put in between here to remove rasp but keep the airflow open? Maybe a small resonator/muffler or glasspack?

Old 10-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mixtape
Call me old fashioned, but converting a dual exhaust car into a single exhaust is pretty much a sin lol.
Is there anything I can put in between here to remove rasp but keep the airflow open? Maybe a small resonator/muffler or glasspack?
Don't look now, but your car only has single exhaust. Your "dual exhaust" is just an illusion created by having two outlet pipes. Yeah you could put on a resonator, but it would have to be a pretty short one. If you used a small reducer, it would run a bit quieter than being wide open, and still have some steam coming out of it. If it bothers you that much, put smoke bombs in the right exhaust pipe.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

you have obviously never put headers on an LT1 car...

my advice? get a known name brand to do it. my reason? the names you know have gone through a lot of testing to make the headers fit better and easier to do a plug change. no i say easier, but its still going to be a *****...but i've never heard of the headers you plan to put on and i would never do that just because i don't want to have to deal with the problems that an unknown company can have.

trust me...go with pacesetter if price is a concern. i'd rather spend an extra 150 bucks and get something that actually fits like its supposed to.

and 69 said it right, if you think your car is dual exhaust then you're wrong. dual exhaust has 2 pipes going from the headers to the exhaust tip...we have one for most of the way

Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the add says they are race headers which means no hookup for polution control. also says to have installed by a pro. thats says to me there a pita even more than normal and could require (mor $) welding. there is a 40 buck shipping charge. u could probly find name brand at close to the total price ull be paying for these and get them shipped free. i would listen to whammer and do a little more looking around.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ilovetacotaco? I think they rank right up there with Summit, Jegs, etc.?

Installation Difficulty:
  • Professional Installation Suggested
  • If instruction is included, we will list ABOVE with item info.
  • NOTE: All of turbo parts and accessories do need to modification in order to fits perfectly. Otherwise we will list ABOVE.
Sound likes if you runs into problem, you could be on your owns!
How good are your fabrication skills?
The picture does show oxy sensor bungs before the collectors. Does your 94 need to get smog tested? Those headers don't have provisions for AIR hookups.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-03-2009 at 09:58 AM.