LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Weird sounds?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Exclamation Weird sounds?!

I bought a 1994 camaro convertible last year with no problems what so ever. In about June, I noticed some clicking sounds coming for my tires. It almost sounds like a rock in my tire, but it wasn't. I went to my mechanic because I needed a new alternator. I told him about the sounds and he acted like he knew exactly what it was. Later, he told me that he fixed my left front wheel bearings along with my alternator. The clicking sound then was intermittent, but just a few weeks ago, the sound started every single time I drove. It's pretty loud and changes pitch with the change in speed. Should I go back and get him to check out all my wheel bearings again or should I just not worry about it? Help!!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Does it sound like the front or rear? Have you had your tires balanced lately? Sometimes they use sticky wheel weights in the middle of the rim and it taps the brakes

Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I Like to Party

When is the last time the upper and lower balljoints were changed? Worn ones can cause that sound, had it pretty bad a few months back.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does the clicking increase in speed with the cars speed. it didnt stop last time the wheel bearing was changed so i would question if it would if you changed it again. could be a caliper hanging on something or the wear arm could be catching or the brake pads were changed and not lubricated with the proper grease.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does the noise go away when you step on the brakes? If so, you could have a brake pad rocking back and forth. Check to make sure the keeper spring tabs are still in place. Coating the backs of the pads with disc brake quiet can help too (provided the pads is where the noise is coming from). And make sure you don't have a build up of crusty rust beyond where the pads ride on the rotors, that can also cause rhythmic noises.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
does the clicking increase in speed with the cars speed. it didnt stop last time the wheel bearing was changed so i would question if it would if you changed it again. could be a caliper hanging on something or the wear arm could be catching or the brake pads were changed and not lubricated with the proper grease.
broken pad made my simular sound

Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM

I don't know if the sound comes from the front or back. And I have not had my tires balanced since march or april, so I don't think it has to do with anything they did while balancing. The noise does not go away when I press the brakes.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by cady
I don't know if the sound comes from the front or back. And I have not had my tires balanced since march or april, so I don't think it has to do with anything they did while balancing. The noise does not go away when I press the brakes.
Is it under mild acceleration, while rolling, or under small amounts of acceleration? Have someone watch and listen while your driving it to pinpoint where the sound is coming from

Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 PM

It makes the sound all the time, whether accelerating, slowing down, or rolling. And no one can tell where it is coming from. I have no idea what to do about it other than take it to the mechanic. Its a really embarrassing sound, especially in the school parking lot because most everybody else has a new car.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by cady
It makes the sound all the time, whether accelerating, slowing down, or rolling. And no one can tell where it is coming from. I have no idea what to do about it other than take it to the mechanic. Its a really embarrassing sound, especially in the school parking lot because most everybody else has a new car.
I hear that, Im probably the only 1 of 2 other 4th gens at my school and they're both trash, there are alot e to hear?of rich spoiled college kids around. Can you feel the sound while driving or is it audible only? shouldnt be too hard to pinpoint where it's coming from

Quick Reply: Weird sounds?!