LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

turbo vs supercharger...best bang for buck your buck...durabililty,

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Default turbo vs supercharger...best bang for buck your buck...durabililty,

what are your opinions about the above topics?

Old 12-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: turbo vs supercharger...best bang for buck your buck...durabililty,

me personally would say supercharger.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Tech Droid

Personally, I prefer a supercharger, and preferably a screw type , such as Whipple. Turbos are more efficient but harder to set up properly and do not provide much boost at low RPM.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

everyday value and performance..supercharger by far...turbos are constant maintenance...you need turbo timers for longevity..to muc involved in turbo cars

Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Depends on what type of car?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear member

I continue to strongly prefer SCs for several reasons:
1) You can run an efficient exhaust - headers, etc., on the car. I like the sound and the around twon fuel economy you can get this way.
2) No turbo lag - yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before, but its there a bit no matter what you do.
3) Generally easier to put on.
4) Generally easier maintenance.

I strongly prefer the screw type (sometimes called the modified roots type). The Eaton and Whipple are this type, Procharger and Vortech are the alternate type - centrifugal. Modified screw type units have a more linear boost versus RPM curve which means they build boost at lower RPM which is good for low and mid range torque: I had a Magnusen on the vette's original 350 for about 2 years at it made noticeable boost at 2500 RPM. Centrifugals are more expoential - they don't really build any boost down low but pile it on in spades at the top end. You thus get less low end torque but a bit (about 5% more) HP up top.

Incidental Point: Many people dont' distincguish between a screw-type (modified roots) and true roots blower: both look about the same, with two interlokcked "impellers" spinning in a twin-cylinder case with cooling fins on it. However, a true roots (Wieand) draws air in the top of the casing and pushes it out the bottom (into the intake manifold). A screw type sucks the air in the front or the back of the case and pushes it out the bottom into the manifold.

Incidental by Important Point: screw type blowers are positive displacement blowers. They pretty much force a certain amount of air to flow as a function of RPM, generating whatever pressure (boost) it takes to make that amount of air flow into the engine. By contrast, centrifugal superchargers, and turbo-chargers, generate a certain amount of pressure as the RPMs climb and the amount of air that flows depends more on the quality of the heads.
Why does this matter? You get very little extra gain from spending money on good heads with a screw-type: put one on an engine with bad breathing heads and it just raises the pressure to force the amoutn of air it wants to pump to flow into the engine, through the poor breathing heads; if later you put good heads on this engine, you get only a little extra power from that work because the will just naturally drop the pressure because it wants a certain amount of air volume to flow and with less resistance, it needs less pressure.
By contrast, the centrifugal or a turbo is the opposite. Put it on an engine with bad heads and it builds boost and gives extra power, but not as much as if you have good heads on that same engine with the same SC and the same pulley.
If you plan to leave the stock heads alone, an Eaton or Whipple looks really attractive, but if you modify the heads a lot for REALLY good breathing, then the centrifugal might be best.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A TURBO IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN A SUPERCHARGER, BUT AT THE SAME TIME A TURBO IS HARDER TO SPOOL UP. IT'S ALL ABOUT HOW SERIOUS YOU REALLY ARE.