LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Default supercharger question

I'm not really mechanically inclined at all, but i bought a 95 Z28 about a year and a half ago and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I've got a 6PSI Powerdyne supercharger on the way and I was just wondering what should be done to increase the potential of the power i get from that, as far as cold air intake, bigger fuel injectors, bigger fuel pump.... are these pretty important and what else should be added to that list? I've already purchased a 200LPH fuel pump and an ignition amplifier. I already had cold air intake. I only went with 6psi because it's basically a daily driver car and I just wanna make it a little more fun and have some stuff to mess with to learn more about cars. Any help on what else I should be installing would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: supercharger question

Oh and I was also wondering if anyone had some ideas for easy mods that i can put in myself (keeping in mind that i haven't had a lot of experience) that will bring the horsepower up, even in relatively small doses.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Droid

If you bought the Powerdyne kit, everything you need is included with it to make it work right. If you just bought the supercharger, there is a bunch of things that have to be done to make it work properly. If you did not purchase the entire kit, I really suggest that you do.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:47 PM

Yah I made sure to buy the entire kit so I didn't need to run around looking for all the other parts I would need. But thank you for the advice.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:22 PM

I have a 94 Z28 and I just had a powerdyne supercharger (6 psi) installed on my camaro.

Here are some things that went wrong and I had to replace when I had my supercharger installed on my car.

Keep in mind all parts on my car are stock and the supercharger was installed when the car had 145,000 miles on it

First off, I hope you bought a NEW supercharger kit. I made the mistake on buying a fairly new but USED supercharger kit. (some parts were missing and had to be fabricated and/or bought)
After installing the supercharger, the first problem I had the day after it installed, was the plug wire for the coil burnt in two from the MSD ignition. So I had to go out and buy 8mm plug wires (which are a pain in the *** to install). If you are running a MSD ignition these are a MUST since the stock wires probably wont handle too well!

The next thing that went wrong was I had to get a new distributor a week after running with the supercharger on. If your car has a lot of miles on it, I would save the hasstle and money (since you almost have to take off the whole front of the engine to get to the distibutor) and buy a new distibutor, cap and rotor. I had my distributor go out a week after having the supercharger put in and I had to pretty much take the supercharger back off to get to the distributor. Also, while you are there, I would make sure to check on your timing chain and make sure it is still in good shape.

The last thing that I had to get was a new ignition coil. I went with a MSD ignition from Summitracing.com to go with the MSD ignition that came with the supercharger kit.

After everything is installed, working correctly, and broken in. I suggest that you eventually bring your car to a professional to have tuned up.

I hope this helps some to save you some of the headaches that came with my supercharger. It is a lot of work, but it is definalty worth it in the end!!

Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Wow could'nt have asked for a better reply then that. Thanks alot. I did buy my supercharger brand new with everything needed for the install, at least that's the way it was advertised. I'll follow those tips and hope I don't have much more then that to do. I've been extremely lucky with my car and haven't spent much more then $1,000 so far in repairs since i bought it when i was 16. Which makes me hope that it was treated well before i owned it and it's not just waiting to become a black hole with all my money. Thanks again for taking the time to pass on some experience and sparing me from the frustration.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Sorry for the late follow up...

No problem at all, im only 18 and I had all this work done to my car a few months ago. It definatly was a new learning experience like I said. Also, I would advise you taking it to a profession to have the supercharger installed and make sure before you have them put it on that they can give you some kind of good warrenty for their work. (Any good mechanic shop should warrenty their work)

I got got a really good deal for the installation of my supercharger for $550 for labor and some misc. parts they had to buy (coolant, a new belt, etc.) and the whole thing took about 2 weeks because we ran into some problems that set us back.

Best of luck to you with your supercharger. Its definatly worth it in the end!

If you have any other questions just ask and I will try to help you out the best I can