LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Still puzzled, car running too rich? moisture?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Still puzzled, car running too rich? moisture?

hey guys, still puzzled on my 94 LT1....like from last summer i got a free replacement opti from summit since they sent me a bad one to begin with. Since it was near the end of the summer i winterized it after i put the new opti on.....I filled it up with premium gas with the recommended mixture of stabil to the tank, and an oil change. I let the car run for a good 20 mins then turned it off, pulled the battery and covered the car for the winter. I pulled the car out from storage and the car starts right up, but every now and then the SES light will come on for a few seconds and then go off...its Code 43 for the knock sensor. The connection is good and getting correct voltage. The color of the exhaust is a faint white and u can smell the aroma of gas. There isnt any gas dripping out the exhaust like it was with my bad opti. After the car warms up and gets to closed loop it seems like the white exhaust goes away somewhat. When i started the car up today, after it rained all day, the car struggled for a second but turned right over...SES light came on for 6 seconds or so and then went off....this time i noticed the white exhaust was more noticeable. can this just be caused from the car running rich/alot of moisture in the air from the rain?? When i take the car out for a spin It doesnt miss fire at all and runs and sounds great....so i dont think its the plugs but i could be wrong...the plugs in the car right now were from when i replaced my old old opti with the bad opti summit originally gave me...so plugs are realtively new. So i used a blow torch to burn off extra carbon build up along with an old tooth brush. I didnt check the gap since i didnt have a gauge with me and just wanted to get it done. Could my plugs still be the cause of this?? I pulled plugs from 1 and 4 today (since they were easy to get to) and the plug from 1 looked great and the plug from 4 looked so so with a little carbon build up, and i also noticed there was a little amount of gas on the first thread. I bought a new set of platinum plugs but didnt want to put them in and have the same result so i wanted to see what you guys think....is there a way to tell if their is moisture in the lines?? is it the plugs??? or can it be a cause of both moisture and plugs?? and any gas treatment recommended to add to the gas tank to get rid of the moisture in the lines??

Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Droid

Rich running does not produce a white vapor, rich running results in black smoke. What you are probably seeing is normal moisture in the exhaust system being blown out. The smell of burning gasoline is common until the cats light up, and until the PCM switches to closed loop, and follows the O2 sensors. The smell goes away as the cats get to running temp. If you are still concerned, get a scanner, not a plain code reader, and see what the PCM is seeing.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

well im using FreeScan with my laptop connected to my PCM...thats how i got the codes. what exactly would i be looking for from my PCM and how? and should i go ahead and change the plugs?? someone suggested using sea foam in the gas tank but i dont know about that.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Tech Droid

The KS codes you got do not affect fuel mixture. The KS only affects timing. A bad KS DCT will result in retarded timing. Check that the KS is screwed in good and tight and makes good electrical connection with the engine block, do not use sealer or plumbers tape. Check wiring from KS to KS module inside PCM housing.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pete,,, does the 94 have a knock sensor module?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Could i be getting false knocks?? Right now my 94 LT1 is still stock since i have been unemployed for the past 9 months but finally landed a new job, so i plan on putting on some long tube headers and a cold air intake this summer. In saying that, I do have a small exhaust leak from my driver side exhaust manifold...could this be contributing to possibly false knocks?? I have found a knock sensor module on summit but not really familiar with them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AC...4681/?rtype=10

Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

exhaust leak could be helping the problem. check inside the ecu aka main engine computer, thats were the module is suposed to be. a lt4 module is less sensitive than a stock lt1 module.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by craby
pete,,, does the 94 have a knock sensor module?
Yes, the KS module is plugged into the PCM through a "trap door" in the PCM housing.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Droid

[quote=rwing7486;423094]Could i be getting false knocks?? Right now my 94 LT1 is still stock since i have been unemployed for the past 9 months but finally landed a new job, so i plan on putting on some long tube headers and a cold air intake this summer. In saying that, I do have a small exhaust leak from my driver side exhaust manifold...could this be contributing to possibly false knocks?? I have found a knock sensor module on summit but not really familiar with them./quote]

You could have false knock, but that won't set a DCT. The DCT you are getting indicates that the KS is not communicating properly. If you are changing the module, use one for the LT4 engine, it is less sensitive to false knock and fits right in.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ya its looking like im heading towards that direction in replacing the module. I changed the plugs today and i got the same DCT 43 code for the knock and then the SES light turned off after about 6 seconds again. The car struggled to start took about 3 cranks to start and untill the car warmed up and into closed loop the car would hesitate when giving it gas...when the car was warmed up it ran great!!! After the short 15 mins ride i came back home and moved some cars around. when i went to start up the camaro it cranked but didnt want to turn over...this time it took about 4-5 times of me cranking the engine for a few seconds before it turned over. Once the car turned over it ran great again...so im kinda puzzled on the starting issue......any ideas on the starting and why the SES light only comes on for 6 seconds???

Quick Reply: Still puzzled, car running too rich? moisture?