LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default speakers

what exactly should there be for speakers on a 95 z28?

like everything else that was touched on this car the sound system is a hack job. it seems like the rear passenger speaker is getting too much power for some reason. it rattles like its blown but it's not and I tried 3 different speakers there with the same results, including a brand new 6x9.

both rears were 5 1/4 woofers (not 2 way speakers like I would have assumed) and same with the one in the hatch area. is that what should be there or should they have been 2 way speakers? I know they were all changed because none were set up like from the factory would be.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: speakers

Yea sounds like they just went nuts lol Anyway not 100% sure on the 2 way thing but as for the too much power to one side what do you mean like is it distorting or just the rattle sometimes they came vibrate loose i am sure you would have fixed that though but i suggest a 10" woofer in the hatch it will sound good doesnt have to be 80000000 watts just like a 250 watt rms sub with a decent amp that you can hide. I personally dont like 6x9s they sound ok i like 61/2s better not sure why maybe thats just me though

Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah its distorting really bad. that one speaker is just way louder than the rest no matter how set the fade/balance and its the wiring not the speaker bcuz like I said I tried 3 different speakers there.

guess I'm going to have to take apart the head unit and start from scratch. other than that I have a 300w amp and 2 10" woofers that have been sitting in the garage for a while so at least I'll get some use from those now.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

It may be hooked up backwards I not sure if you have checked the wire and if it runs all the way to the deck he may have switched up the wire at the deck Could cause it

Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

u mean like polarity? I didn't think pos/neg mattered for speakers. but I tried that both ways at the speaker. it may be hooked up to one thats supposed to go to the hatch though or something.

and is there supposed to be a speaker on each side in the hatch? I only have one on the driver side. but I was looking on ebay and found a set of panels that had a speaker on each side. my passenger side doesn't even have a cut out for a speaker.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine either i only have the driver side cut out but i have taken it out i have 5 speakers but i have one in the consol where the cup holder is and then the ones in the door and rear quarters. I can have an effect sometimes it may make speakers quieter i figure could have opposite effect do you have the stock cd player in there might want to try a signal processor they are pretty easy to hook up and you can control the amount of signal going to the speakers

Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

not stock its an aftermarket head unit.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 AM

Polarity does affect the speaker big time. You can actually be picking up distortion off of the vehicle chassis. You might wanna make sure that your RCA cables as well as speaker cables are not being ran next to your power cable for your amp. Also, if you remove your headunit and flip flop the wires (ie front to back or left to right) and check to see if its actually the amp in the headunit thats acting up.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I second that i didnt realize you were running a aftermarket deck

Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

what do you mean by flip flop the wires?

I pretty much think I'm just going to rip it all out and start over.

Quick Reply: speakers