LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Spark Wire Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)
Default Spark Wire Heat Shields

I tried doing the right thing and search for an answer to this question but couldn't dig anything up. I just bought a 1994 Z28 with a set of coated Pace Setter headers on it. The previous owner upgraded to MSD 8.5mm wires. I was poking around under the hood today and noticed that there is no heat shield for the wires. These headers come awfully close to the wires and I would like to do what I can to protect them.

Are heatshields really a necessity, or would things be ok if I went without them? If you indeed recommend I go out and get myself some, which ones and where could I find them?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks greenmachine96. Like I said I just bought this car and I am just finding things here and there that I need to put into it. Nothing major (so far ). I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Is there any hidden road gremlins in this car that I should be checking? I did a thorough check before I bought it. Is there anything specific to this vehicle that I should look out for?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Fiberglass heat shields can become a fire hazard if covered in grease and oil from the engine. If the wires were routed correctly and secured away from the headers (I used zip ties) then you don't need anything.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Yooper Z28
Thanks greenmachine96. Like I said I just bought this car and I am just finding things here and there that I need to put into it. Nothing major (so far ). I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Is there any hidden road gremlins in this car that I should be checking? I did a thorough check before I bought it. Is there anything specific to this vehicle that I should look out for?
Hmm... Just check the fluids and stuff like that. These Lt-1's are workhorses. I haven't had any major problems with mine. If you ever have to replace the waterpump you might wanna go ahead and replace the opti-spark distributor. Oh yeah and opti's like to go bad if they have about 100k miles or more. Buy a Gm replacement or ask around about diff brands because some aren't worth a crap. And remember that the cooling fans dont kick on until the coolant is like 228 deg. or something, so as long as you dont get to the red on your temp guage you're okay, though turning the a/c on will kick them on and bring the temp back down. The system is kinda a pain to bleed. The 4l60E trans has its flaws but they are still pretty dependable, which if your car is a manual you dont need to worry about. I wouldnt worry if it wasnt either, Had a few vehicles with them in them and so far only one ever needed servicing. That was after 180K miles too, just needed a shift kit put in it. They are dependable cars.

Last edited by greenmachine96; 11-12-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OK, I was throwing around the idea of a shift kit. I really don't want a strong shift from 1st to 2nd. I was browsing the forums here loking at that whole shift kit vs programming thing. What is everydody's opinion on this? Haven't ever really messed with a transmission before other than dropping one and swaping it with another. I called a transmission shop here in town and they said if I brought in the kit with my car they could install for 100-150 depending on how things go.

This is going to be a daily driver (or at least if my wife needs our primary vehicle while I am at work) so I don't really need any serious performace here. I would just like to help my transmission make it into its golden years and crisp everything up.

Suggestions???

Old 11-12-2011, 08:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Anybody have any luck with one of these? I figured that I would be able to use it when I felt like it and be able to shut if off for some "Sunday Driving."

Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Shoulda started your own thread instead of thread highjacking. But anyway why do you want a shift kit in the first place? They can put a new stock one in that will just be new parts, to "freshen it up" without making it shift firmer than stock. Programming is to get the performance out of your trans. They can set shift rpm points and adjust firmness, etc. They have these kits they retain normal driving when in drive or OD Transpak - Buick, Chevrolet, GMC, Olds, Pontiac - '93-'01 4L60E
Never drivin a 4l60 with one in it but i have driven a 68 superbee with one in it but it was a full manual valve body with a ratchet shifter, meaning you do all the shifting.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
Shoulda started your own thread instead of thread highjacking.
I guess I technically didn't hijack the thread, as I am the one who originated this thread. I just shifted topic. Sorry, I will start a new thread next time.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Yooper Z28
I guess I technically didn't hijack the thread, as I am the one who originated this thread. I just shifted topic. Sorry, I will start a new thread next time.
oh haha i just noticed u were the OP. but making another thread would help with answers.

Quick Reply: Spark Wire Heat Shields