LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

someone please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Default someone please help

Ok I just purchased a 95 z28. On the way home after buying it the damn thing overheated, come to find out it has a blown head gasket! I take the car to my guy who looks at it and says the lt1 is worth saving (oil pressure remains steady after warming up). So I assume all will be well after the head gasket is repaired. Not so, two days later he calls me back and says there are a few things causing concern:

1. The lines on the front passenger side of the intake are screwed up. The one on top is plugged and is suppose to connect with another line along the intake. The hose on bottom, which the guy tells me is a coolant line, is bent and on looking I would assume is not allow any flow.

2. The radiator fans are not working, one fans wires are cut and sitting behind the battery.

3. The fuel line has a small hole in it that drops fuel on the valve cover.

My question is can these problems be fixed and is my lt1 worth keeping because the guy is trying to get me to dump it and put a 402 in her ? This is my first z28 and I want to have fun with her but I havent driven her since I bought it. Can someone help? Sorry if I dont know the technical terms for the hoses I described maybe someone can help with that too loo.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Tech Droid

I don't know who you are talking to, but a 402 small block is not going to fit too well in your car without a lot of body surgery, elctrical, and computer work. The coolant lines and fuel lines can be fixed pretty easily, and so are the fans. Me thinks your "mechanic" is either lying, or is confused, or is just trying to reach into your wallet.
You really should have had an expert look at your car before buying it. A blown gasket gets pretty expensive if you pay someone to fix it. Your engine has aluminum heads, which warp easily when overheated, and surfaches should be shaved to assure a good seal.

Last edited by z28pete; 08-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM

yeah he says he can do the head gasket with no issue and that I should probabaly send them out to be checked for cracks and warpage. That I am fine with its these other things that he is scarying me with he says after looking at those things it will be a "project" lol.