Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director
Default Shaking

Ok Camaro experts.

Details:
95 LT1 M6 aftermarket throttle body. Plugs and wires 10k back.
Recent drops in gas mileage, Unexplained.

Driving home from work last night, car was fine. Got to my parking lot and the exhaust sounded weird, couldn't put my finger on it but i was in a hurry and needed to get inside so i backed into the garage, and parked it for the night. Woke up this morning and decided to come check, starts and idles with the funny sounding exhaust which scares the hell out of me, but I drive it to work (its less than a mile). It is slow, laggy and reduced in power, AND the whole care is shaking. So i get to the office pop the hood an the motor is chugging along and shaking back and forth. not just the normal motor sway.

Im thinking misfire/ignition system and a motor mount
My dad said balancer

I honestly have no clue without getting into the weeds. I figured someone would have had this issue and can tell me where to start instead of me pulling it apart and "checking". The other option is to take it in to the Dealer and have them check it, and I will fix it from there.

Ideas?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like a plug wire came lose or is failing somehow. scann for codes

Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

optispark going bad, time to swap it for an lsx motor

Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cheeks
optispark going bad, time to swap it for an lsx motor
that would be oh idk... 2000 more than unnecessary... thanks though...

I checked all the plugs and wires, all connected. I was thinking opti and the passenger mount.

also not throwing codes yet.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Droid

All I can tell you for sure that it is not the balancer, or a motor mount, if they were bad they still wouldn't be causing a noticeable power loss. Although a bad balancer could cause engine damage. lol
I understand you are looking for an instant fix, but that does not happen, except by accident. As Craby said, before getting too worked up, check the ignition for loose or damaged plug wires, or fouled plugs.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Understood, and craby knows my car better than i do which is kind of scary... as i said though, no visible damage to plugs or wires. But the car is getting parked at 12 and i will go from there. I was planning for next weekend (after Easter) to be my Opti, plugs, wires, water pump, headers, and roller rockers ($$ depending). Most everything is ordered, should be here tomorrow. we shall see.

what is the possibility that the injectors could be involved?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Not sure about the injectors, but I would check the CATs and your O2 sensors while your poking around in the exhaust. What dose it idle at? Hows the rev in neutral? Any hesitation or sputtering when you get on the throttle?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cats are coming out, and o2s will be replaced if needed (yet i dont know how to determine that) It idles round 1k most of the time sometimes down to 900 sometimes up to 1200 (on the gauge, it always sounds like 1k.) . idle sounds odd in comparison to usual. Revs in neutral shake, but in gear is worse. (obviously) no sputter, no throttle hesitation but it accelerates much slower, and shakes the whole time. the lower RPMs under load shake the worst. 5th gear going shook so bad that i wound up keeping it under 4th.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep scan for codes before you unhook that battery. if the car is going to be down for a few days take the injectors out, find a injector shop and send them in to be cleaned and flow tested. not that expensive and if nothing else piece of mind.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by BudBrown
also not throwing codes yet.
Are you going by the lack of a light, or did you actually scan it? You can have a stored code without the light being on.
With the rough running, and the drop in gas mileage, it does sound like a misfire causing a rich condition.

Quick Reply: Shaking