LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

set of Trickflows w/ NOS or superchager???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Default set of Trickflows w/ NOS or superchager???

Trying to decide which way to go...I've got a 97 SS, basically stock; throttle body coolant bypass, flowmaster exhaust, baer brake kit, stage 1 clutch, 3.73 gears, stock limited slip, short throw shifter....

Heres the two choices...

....Set of trickflow heads-fully assmbled w/ valve springs, retainers, etc..., roller rocker arms, Holley 58mm throttle body, port and polished intake manifold, and a 100 shot of NOS...

or

Vortec Supercharger @ 8-10psi...

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM

personally id go with option "A"

but there is something said for having supercharged power on tap all the time.

my gut instinct still tells me heads/nitrous.

im assuming the heads/nitrous will still run less expensive than the charger, correct?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Overdrive Member

I think you should go for a nice set of long tube headers, you'll need the extra flow if you're planning on doing any internal or forced induction work. I recommend Kooks first and then Dynatech for header brands.

Edit: You will also notice that your duplicate thread in the SS section has disappeared. In the future please attempt to keep your topic to one thread in one subforum that you feel it best fits.
Thanks,
~95slvrZ28

Last edited by 95slvrZ28; 03-16-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a Votech V1 and it just pulls. Get that. You wont be disappointed.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

first off...ASSUMING you have all the bolt ons(which you didn't mention which would be headers and cold air intake on top of what you have) you didn't mention one thing about a cam...the cam is where a lot of your power will come from. a lot of the answers will depend upon what your goals are for the car. 95% of people DO NOT need to go with an aftermarket head. they can get more power porting their stock heads and having a cam to match. i suggest you do a little more research and ask more questions and we can help point you in the right direction

Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
first off...ASSUMING you have all the bolt ons(which you didn't mention which would be headers and cold air intake on top of what you have) you didn't mention one thing about a cam...the cam is where a lot of your power will come from. a lot of the answers will depend upon what your goals are for the car. 95% of people DO NOT need to go with an aftermarket head. they can get more power porting their stock heads and having a cam to match. i suggest you do a little more research and ask more questions and we can help point you in the right direction
agreed on top of that. i myself would not put forced induction on the bottom end it wont last as long as n2o. also on a stock bottom end car instead of trickflows id go port and polished heads/cam and n2o. look into AI thats my choice for my build but also lloyd elliot. and with the money you save get long tube cai electric water pump and 1.6 rr along with the other stuff you said

Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Default Its an SS...

I mentioned above the car is an ss, it already has the ram air (cold air) intake as part of the slp package. It has the slp exhaust manifolds, mid pipe, and flowmaster cat-back.
As far as a cam goes, the ss car has a hotter cam than the z28, and will be sufficient enough to work with the aftermarket trick flow heads. As apposed to having comp custom grinding me a cam.
Trick flow is a great product and is probably a cheaper route than having the stock heads ported/polished and then bench flow tested...plus they have their matching valves(three seat cuts), vale springs, retainers, and matching roller rocker arms...Also I want to keep the stock heads intact, in case I ever decide to sell the vehicle. I can port my own throttle body portion of the intake manifold, to match the 58mm holley throttle body.

The main thing is, the car has to be streetable-tame idle, no electric water pump, no stage 5 clutch.

My goal, eventually, is to run mid to low 12s without changing a whole lot else. I think I might just go for the option "A" for now, which is the better option for my budget, and see where I am. I can always go to the blower next, and then do the cam, new pistons, rings, connecting rods, arp studs, polished crank, etc...the list goes on and on. Until then....

Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok first where did you hear the ss has a better cam then the z28? and second. if you goal is for a mid-low 12 second car you dont need heads and dont really need nitrous. theres bolt on lt1's runnin mid 11s

Old 03-17-2009, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

also to add to wat i said AI has a customer running a stock bottom end lt1 running ported stockers that are 200cc cnc'd heads with a custom cam running a 180 shot and the car ran a 9.86. so that being said if you think ported stockers wont meet you goal look into it first. but i do understand the puttin the car back to stock thing

Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

wow...you're seriously misinformed

coming from someone who also owns a 97 SS...your car has the exact SAME cam as the z28. second...you'd benefit more from just a cam swap than just a head swap. third...trickflow heads out of the box DO NOT flow better than ported stockers. this much i can promise you. 4th...you say the car has SLP exhaust manifolds...does that mean SLP shorty headers? cause no 4th gen camaro came stock with headers, nor did the SS get any sort of special manifolds. 5th...flowmaster exhaust is actually known to restrict air flow and is not the best choice you could have made. 6th...lloyd elliotts LE1 package is like 1200 bucks and is very reliable and street friendly and will get you around 370rwhp

but the choice is yours..