LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

replacing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default replacing oil pan gasket

hey guys i've never done this but i will try it myself with the help of my friends, or who ever wants to help. I'm planning on chaning my oil pan gasket pretty soon, And i need some feedback on what to do, i know i have to raise the engine a little bit so i have to loosen up and remove the engine mounts is that right?? also do i have to remove the exhaust? from the exhaust manifold?? another thing i got the motor jack and it can lift 2 tons of weight which i think is enough right? also i dont have the chain what kind of chain should i get to lift the motor enough to get clearance to remove the oil pan?? Is there any need to loosen up the transmiision mount?? if i missed something plz help me out, i'm planning on doing all this in at least a month. i mean i have to look for the chain and i'll do the job like one saturday off the month. thankx ya

Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: replacing oil pan gasket

Wow, I just went and looked at my oil pan… I had no clue I had to do all that crap just to get it off… I may need a new oil pump, I didn’t know I’d have to raise the engine three inches to get to it… this sucks!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This is a serious job. Get the right equipment and you will make it out alive. Get the ACDelco 6 Ton jack stands. They are very tall and give good support. You best have an AC Delco 2 1/4 ton jack or you wont ever be able to get the car high enough to use the stands. You need room.

As far as lifting the motor goes you should have an AC Delco cherry picker/engine hoist. This will make it safer than trying to hold the weight of your engine on the balancer which puts CRAZY stress on the crank and little brass things we like to call bearings. After all while removing the pan what the heck is going to be exposed for you to jack the motor up??

Anyway its all true.. The job sucks but can be fun and less stressful with the right tools. I will also list the exact price of the AC Delco items as they are here in Canton Michigan. AC Delco is not the best in terms of equipment but its readily avaiable and the best priced.

(2) ACDelco 6 Ton big boy jack stands - $60
(1) ACDelco 21/4 Ton high boy jack - $79
(1) ACDelco Engine hoist -$169

Hope that covers it. If not have a look at this.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Are you talking about Murray's tools and Autozone for the Cherry Pickers? Harbor Freight in westland sells other brands also. But then you have to remove the motor mount bolts and then CAREFULLY lift the motor until you have enough clearnace to get the pan. Don't lift it too much or you might kink some cooler lines.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Droid

Yeah, just drive the front of the car up on ramps. Take out the motor mount cross bolts, lift engine with a cherry picker as far as it will go without trying to lifting the car along with it. Now you will have enough clearance to removethe oil pan.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Droid

Just drive the front of the car up on ramps. Raise engine slighlty with a cherry picker to take the pressure off the motor mounts. Remove the motor mount cross bolts. Raise the engine another few inches, as far as it will go without also lifting the car. This will give enough clearance to remove the oil pan. If you can't get to the rear pan bolts, you will have to undo the exhaust pipes from the exhaust manifolds.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Yeah, just drive the front of the car up on ramps. Take out the motor mount cross bolts, lift engine with a cherry picker as far as it will go without trying to lifting the car along with it. Now you will have enough clearance to removethe oil pan.
yeah thats what i was thinking on doing while reading and looking at the pictures that sellc posted which are appriciated. thanks sellc, but i'll go with the ramps instead i dont want to spend so much money, i was woundering wth was a cherry picker i went to kragen and i search it lol, yeah i have one of those i borrow it from my dad in law, but dont i kneed a chain to attache the motor to be able to lift it?? Oh so i dont loosen up the tranny mount bolt?? some guy from work told me i should so that if the motor goes a lil high the mount wont get damage. should I or i dont have to?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

I would not losen the trans mount because that limits how much the motor can move so you don't damage anything rubbing up against the fire wall.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah I forgot about ramps. I dont use them myself because most of the time I need to take off the wheels. Be sure to get some good ramps. I didnt even know they made ramps that would clear the low stance of a Camaro. Heck some times I have to have someone lift up on the fenders just to get the jack under the cradle.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: shnormo

Are you talking about Murray's tools and Autozone for the Cherry Pickers? Harbor Freight in westland sells other brands also. But then you have to remove the motor mount bolts and then CAREFULLY lift the motor until you have enough clearnace to get the pan. Don't lift it too much or you might kink some cooler lines.
I think you should be able to get all that stuff a Murrays, Jack, Stands and Picker. I think they are sold all over the country in diffrent stores also but you can go online to find AC Delco retailers.

The stuff is the best priced I have see out there and it seems to hold up well.

Quick Reply: replacing oil pan gasket