LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Relplacing my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Relplacing my radiator

I have a camaro repair manual and it says that the best way to remove the radiator unit is from the bottom. Just curious if anyone has done this job from the other direction...

Any shortcuts or helpful information will be greatly appreciated. If anyone has pictures or steps involved would also be helpful. Don't know if it matters but the car has the LT1 in it.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

i have had to replace mine also, but yes it is easyer to remove it from the bottem. also if the manual dosnt say so, it wouldnt be a bad idea to take the fans out also, makes it alot easyer.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I replaced my radiator a few months ago from a 94 Camaro Z28. I agree with dopez28 about removing the radiator from the bottom after taking the radiator fans off. I would recommend having paper towels handy to stuff into the hoses that connect to the radiator. No matter how well you think you drained all of the coolant out, there will still be some residual coolant that will run out of the hoses when you disconnect them from the radiator. If the radiator is equipped with a transmission oil cooler, you will want to plug those connectors as well so they don't leak everywhere. It would be a good idea to wear eye protection so coolant doesn't get in your eyes. Also, there is a plastic cover that drapes over both the A/C condenser and the radiator that you will have to pull off. Of note, the low coolant sensor can be tricky to put on. Don't forget to bleed the system of air when you are done and replenish any transmission fluid you lost (if you have a trans oil cooler). Let me know if you would like more details.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

The guys above are correct, just want to ask if you have a concrete floor to do this on make sure you use jack-stands for safety, and if doing this on grass or dirt you can get 4 4"X16"X16" blocks from Home Depot, put one in front of each front tire and drive on top, then jack each side and place the other two blocks under the front tires also. Now you will have plenty of elbow room and it's safe, use the emergancy break and chop the back tires. Also , when installing the new radiator, be careful when hooking it onto the a/c condenser coil, you can cut your hands easily, it's a tight fit so take your time. It's easier with two people getting it hooked. Put back all the plastic pieces for correct air flow.

You Will Need to get under the car to remove Your Radiator, almost impossible from the top, Sorry about that.
I will check for pics when i get home.

Last edited by CNCman; 10-30-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Good time to

check/replace hoses

check/replace drive belt

check opti and waterpump for oil leaks from the seals

Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
1st Gear Member

thru the top for me, no problems. didnt even cross my mind thru the bottom. check rad support too, mine was rusted.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

on second thought i cant remember. memory is bad, must have whatever craby has.....and toooo many beers...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah i got a sold ground to work on. Any suggestions on brands for the part? I'm not in a rush to get it done cause it's not an everyday driver...I normally stick to factory parts only for it, but if anyone has a good suggestion on a cheaper part i'll take the info.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

id try summit or jegs and see what they got.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I usually get mine from Advance Auto, but , like you said, we take better care of the Camaro. I,'m going to change mine too, it's on the list, just haven't got that far yet. So i'm all ears too on suggestions about a New Radiator supplier.

OH sm515 you may want to back off the beer when working on the Camaro! LMAO !
Been there done that once on here! HA HA !!

Quick Reply: Relplacing my radiator