Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LT1/LT4 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/)
-   -   Power steering pulley (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/power-steering-pulley-64730/)

timmyz28 09-11-2011 09:57 PM

Power steering pulley

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement power steering pulley for a good price? This belt squeal has been annoying me and I want to take care of it.

craby 09-12-2011 08:50 AM

heres the pulley. are you sure its not a worn out tensioner. Pulley, 93-97 V8 5.7L LT1 Camaro/Firebird Power Steering Pulley Used

timmyz28 09-12-2011 12:08 PM

Belt is brand new, tensioner is brand new. I have a stethoscope and its coming from the power steering.

Psycho 09-12-2011 12:46 PM

You would be ahead to replace the whole pump then. The wheel must be pressed off. The pump is held on by 2 bolts. Easy replacement. I believe it is easier to remove and replace the oil lines when it is loose from the mount also. Been there done that.

timmyz28 09-12-2011 06:13 PM

I don't want to do the pump if I have don't have to, and I have the puller for the pulley anyways.

craby 09-13-2011 01:11 AM

im on my third rebuilt pump and its goin. any oil at all on the pulley. could try cleaning it with acitone and hit it with some emery. if the pump is failing it may be putting to much pressure on the belt. does it do it all the time or only when on hard turns.

Camaro 69 09-13-2011 08:18 AM

I'm curious why you think replacing the p.s. pulley is going to get rid of your belt squeal. Is the pulley bent? What kind of serpentine belt are you using, AutoZone blue-light specials?
I stick with the Goodyear Gatorback belts because they're designed to not squeal, and I've never had belt squeal with one. They're worth the extra money spent.

timmyz28 09-13-2011 12:06 PM

It does it all the time, and its a belt squeal, not a power steering whine. And I buy my belts from Advanced. For the past year or so, something has been chewing up the belts. I've had to replace 3 in the past year. Before that, I put a belt on when I first bought the car and it lasted like 2-3 years.

Camaro 69 09-13-2011 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by timmyz28 (Post 570306)
It does it all the time, and its a belt squeal, not a power steering whine. And I buy my belts from Advanced. For the past year or so, something has been chewing up the belts. I've had to replace 3 in the past year. Before that, I put a belt on when I first bought the car and it lasted like 2-3 years.

A belt should last well more than 2-3 years even. Something chewing up the belt is a pulley alignment issue. I'd get under there as best as possible with a straight edge and see what looks out of whack. You replaced the tensioner, if that was wobbly it would have been a good reason for your eaten up belts. Or, have you been going through belts since the new tensioner?

timmyz28 09-13-2011 07:23 PM

I got the new tensioner after the new belt and it hasn't chewed the belt up, but it still squeals. And I just noticed today, the power steering pulley does in fact have a little wobble to it. The bolts for the pump were tight, but I got a little more turn out of them. Started it back up and still has a little wobble, so now I have to see if it's the seat of the pulley on the shaft or the shaft is bent.