LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Plug Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Plug Change

Gonna do the plug change on my 95 z-done some research as I dont want to pay $300 to have this done- considering using a ratcheting wrench for some of the plugs instead of sockets if poss. anybody done this- I'll think I'll need to remove the starter and possibly the alternator to get more room (got big arms)-actually, a "plug by plug" 'how to' would be great if anyone could provide that. thanks!!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Plug Change

i havent done mine in about 2 yrs but the passenger side is fairly easy but the drivers side is a bit tough as it is more cramped, you can go to your local part store and get an extension to make it easier, its like a teloscopic type extension

Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Ninja Administrator

each plug will have at least enough room to get the socket on (altho most likely not enough to have the ratchet attached). so for any that are really tight the spark plug socket has a hex end on it so use an open wrench. all plugs can be done pretty much the same. the name of the game is getting that socket on it, many times by feeling your way around and some times performing unusual gestures with ur hands, but there isnt really a trick to it per say

Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alih

i havent done mine in about 2 yrs but the passenger side is fairly easy but the drivers side is a bit tough as it is more cramped, you can go to your local part store and get an extension to make it easier, its like a teloscopic type extension
I changed mine2 monthsago and its the passenger side that is hard and the driverside that is easy... If you actually own or changed the plugs onan F-body its pretty obvious that the side with all the accessories would be more difficult... I was able to do 3 from the top and had to do1 from the bottom on the driverside.. I did all the ones icould reach from the top by feel. Its kind of a learn as you go process. Alot of people told mehowthey did it and i was able to do it a different way soimho its all about what youcan do yourself. For example idont have huge arms so it wasnt too difficult to feelmost of em from the top.That was alsomy 1st plug change with my camaro and i did it with a jack,jackstands and a basicratchet set.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Overdrive Member

heh trying to rip me in here too eh, well yeah its been almost 2 years since i did it so i cant be 100% positive especially working 7 days a week with 5-6 hrs of sleep, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself

Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

how many accessories does the lt1 have down by the plugs? [&:]

Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 PM
4th Gear Member

well i mean the alternator etc. then theres the starter in the way... that wasnt easy... The passenger side is harder than hell to reach, but do-able.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Im in school right now and don't have time but i will write back later and give alot of input i did mine twice soi got it down pat.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Take off the y pipe, starter and alternator. Drivers side is fairly easy. Pass side i used a wrench on the back two and the front one you have to use the socket and get the extensions just right so it slides in between the fender well and it will come out.
Thats pretty much it if you have any other questions just ask cause im sure im forgetting something

Old 05-16-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm I the only one who's gotten them all from the top? Wasn't the easiest but after I got my "modified" wrench like I needed it went smooth.

Quick Reply: Plug Change