LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

please help. its my optispark :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default please help. its my optispark :(

ive had this problem for a while. it shakes when i accelerate and i hate it. i have a supercharger and i hate it that i cant even use the power. i got my optispark a little wet when i got my car washed. its gotten a little better, but it still shakes. please help me. i want to have it back to normal asap. thanks.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: please help. its my optispark :(

You posted the same question 3 different times, and you are still going to get the same answer. You wetthe Optispark and the engine starts running bad, you need a new Optispark. They don't fix themselves. They have a lot of internal electronics that provide timing signals to the PCM and if not in perfect order the engine runs bad. Also the dampness creates paths for crossfires within the distributor cap. Crossfires cause carbon tracking, which screws up the distributor cap permanently. Your car has a supercharger, and puts heavier demands on the ignition system, which means it won't tolerate any deficiencies.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

im sorry, its just that i didnt want to hear that answer. i heard that its about $1000 for labor and parts and i dont have that kind of money. have any recommendations for brands?

Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Droid

IMO, stay with the stock AC Delco units. MSD claims theirs are better, but I see a lot of quality complaints on the forum, and they also cost a lot more than the stock ones.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks for the tip. and about how much for the labor and were should i do it?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

another thing. i can rev the engine perfectly when i park but once i start driving it shakes. is that common?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Droid

When you are driving, the engine is under load. The higher the load, the harder to fire the spark plugs, and the supercharger compounds the problem. Also at higher RPM thereis less time available to saturate the coil or charge capacitors (depending on system) and the spark voltage drops as the RPM rises.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ah, ok. thanks.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Since your going to inherit this car from your father then perhaps you should see about doing to the work yourself. Unless the super charger has everything cluttered up. If you going to have the car then you should learn to do the repairs on it it. The LT1 is probably the hardest car there is to work on and labor cost alone can go through the roof. If you decide to then make sure you have someone who has some knowledge with this kind of repair. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

oh yes, i understand that but the problem is i have more knowledge about cars than mydad. but he still understands enough to work on the car. i am the one who cleans it twice a week, not my dad. he also owns a shop were he works on his cabinets and his neighbors all around him are mechanics. in fact, one of them are really good friends with him and has done some work on it. how hard is it to change a optispark anyway?

Quick Reply: please help. its my optispark :(