LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ive had a ignition modual go with no ses or trouble codes. if the 02 is giving good numbers but are false then it wouldnt show a code.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well would the ERG make the car shut off? i thought when it acting up it makes it run poorly? i really never dealt with it...i thought it was a plug wire that got burnt up on a header...it as not...i checked my spark plugs and wires (ac delco and msd) they were fine, the spark was really good. the fuel was good. the security light is on..it flashed today...i dont know if that would matter? what i do to keep it running is when the camaro wants to shut off i shift from drive to nutral and rev the engine when i rev to 4000 the car stays on. its idleing super bad. under 500rpm

Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

oh boy. could be vats. look for the sticky on the lt1 faq and tech page about vats read up on it and see if it helps. im still thinking its the opti or ignition modual. although when the ignition modual went on mine it would just quit. then after 15 20 minutes it would start up and run fine. did not get ses light on that. could be water in the opti. in the cap. but once water gets in there its a mater of time before the curcits or the opti reader goes. if u change the opti i recomend sealing cap with a little high temp rtv and changing the water pump at the same time. not sure on the egr. seems like it would make it idle high. but not sure. fuel filter?

Last edited by craby; 06-02-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

kool ill look into the vats and keep u up to date!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear member

This sounds similar to an 02 F150 I worked on. The vehicle was running like crap, you had to feather the throttle at stop signs for the car to keep running. It flashed a code and it was something for the security system. It ended up being a bare spot on a wire that went to the gauge cluster and whenever it grounded itself out if threw the security system into affect and tried to turn the truck off. I don't think the security system on the camaros is that high tech though.

What type of fuel pressure do you have??

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have never checked my fuel pressure... my cars security light is always on...i dot know who to take it to anymore...thats what i have to do hit the trotle to keep the camaro from turning off. what would u do?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so it s not the vats? the resistor in the key can go bad to. see if u have any stored trouble codes.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear member

i would check for stored codes like craby said and check your fuel pressure.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

if its wanting to stall when u slow down to idle i would say iac could be screwing up on you i kinda does sound like a opti going bad and depinding on how u checked ur spark it could show a good spark outta the block but when its in a cyclinder it may not be enough spark what color was the spark when u checked it ? but back to the idle issue ur iac could be going ... or the pcm is send a signal to the stepper motor to close when ur coming to a stop for some reason have u checked to see if u have any vacumm leaks at the manifold .. too bad u couldnt hook it up to a diagnostics it would tell u whats happing im not sure if it would be a egr cause they only opereate when in a cruising condtion they open to reduce the cylinder temps to try to control NOx emissions but if its sticking open it couls have a effect on your car at idle i wouold say pay 50 bucks and have someone throw a diagnostics on it or like they said vats im guessing opti or ign

Old 06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Default 1994 z-28

Hello guys and gals,i am new to this forum,i am an old hot rodder,Pre computer age,i hate them things,anyway,i just bought a 1994 camaro,LT1 350,i have a couple of issues,1:the SES light stays on,I had a friend hook it up on a computer and he said it was in the timing,he said maybe the timing has slipped a tooth or something like that,the car runs great most of the time but sometimes when you stomp it down it will sputter like a rev limiter,and sometimes it will just idle and then die,but it starts right back up,The guy i bought it from said he had to change the Knock sensor,it was doing about the same thing until he changed that,but the thing that has got me puzzled is it dont run bad all the time,2:the engine idles about 11 or 1200,is that kinda high?

Thanks for any answers.......Lightning